20 All Over Again

I got together with an old friend last night and probably laughed more than I have in ages. Jen and I used to work together at Record Town in Copley Place while we were both in college (me at Wentworth, her at Berklee). As time went on, we both moved to different places (I tried San Francisco…then came back, she went to West Hollywood and is now back in New Hampshire). We’ve always managed to stay in touch through email, though quite irregularly. At times, a year would go by without chatting.

Well, now that she’s back in New England she came into Boston last night and we saw each other for the first time in 5 or 6 years. And it was like 1991 all over again. She looked the same, had the same sense of humor and kept me in stitches for hours. It’s amazing how after all this time the connection we had 15 years ago immediately came back upon seeing each other.

We hung out at my place catching up for an hour or so. Then we headed to Salem Street for dinner at La Famiglia (known for their huge portions). Dinner was was followed by gelato at Gelateria on Hanover Street (I had pear and peach…a decent combination). More walking and talking led us to Paul Revere’s house (among other places) before a stop at Mike’s Pastries (not my favorite…but by some miracle it wasn’t crowded).

By the end of the evening my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. It was so good to see her – I forgot how much fun we used to have back in the day. And so many of our old haunts are gone. One, in particular, that we enjoyed was the piano bar that used to be in the Westin Hotel at Copley Place. We’d get out of work, order a drink (or two) each and just sit listening to the pianist. That whole space has been converted into retail now. ugh – progress.

Anyway, Jen’s goal is to move from New Hampshire back to the Boston area (YAY).

Now it’s Thursday and my throat is a bit sore (presumably from laughing and talking so much and not because I’m coming down with yet another ailment).

1. Comment by karyn on June 1, 2006 12:43 pm

Just for the record (and not because I’m at alllllllllll jealous or terrified of getting old), that does NOT make you 20 ‘all over again’ anymore than with me doesn’t make us 14 again. (Horrors!)

2. Comment by Will on June 2, 2006 9:36 am

I think I disagree. After people reach adulthood, we’re all younger inside than outside, the more so as we pass into middle age and beyond. My husband has moments of supreme silliness when he’s 14 or 15 again and it’s part of why I love him so much.