Thinking Ahead

Unlike last year when I went to Paris with just a (very over-stuffed) bookbag, I’m realizing that I will have to actually pack luggage this time around. This 2.5 week vacation is making me realize I will need to pack much more than I had initially expected.

It’s odd, because I’m probably packing just about the same quantity of clothing (since I’ll have access to washing machines). But now the extra time there is making me realize the little things I need to include – and they’re just adding up.

For example, last time I just didn’t shave while I was there. There’s no way I can avoid shaving for two and a half weeks so this means I need to bring my beard trimmer…and it’s charger. Last time I just brought my electric Sonic toothbrush. This time, I’ll need to bring the charger. Same goes for my iPod (actual MP3 player plus charger and cord) and digital camera (camera, batteries, wires to connect to computer, blank discs to save photos to).

I’ll need nail clippers this time around. And don’t forget the additional drugs (Flonase, Ativan, aspirin, multi-vitamins, Airborne). And Mike and I will probably partake of the nightlife in both Paris and London (something I didn’t do last time) which means additional “night time” clothes and shoes.

A longer trip also means I’ll need more reading materials (books, magazines).

Finally, Mark (who we’ll be staying with) has shipped some items to me (from American companies) that he wants me to bring to Paris for him (saves him shipping charges). Add in my passport, guide books, euros, pounds, clothes, snack foods and water for the flight and I’m going to be bursting at the seams with “stuff”.

I used to think I was such a simple guy. I think I was wrong.

1. Comment by Salina on June 13, 2006 10:21 am

HEy Karl, it could be worse. I’m flying to visit family for 3 weeks today and I’m finding I have less space as well. Then I realized…maternity clothes are bigger than my regular clothes. Sigh. Oh well….Happy Packing and have a FANTASTIC time in Paris! You so deserve a great vacation!

PS. Your Mom’s comments on your illness were priceless! Glad to hear you’re feeling better

2. Comment by Brad on June 13, 2006 10:45 am

Just make sure you bring converters . . . you’ll need one for Paris and a set of different ones for Britain. Ah! the life of an international traveler!

3. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on June 13, 2006 11:34 am

Um, LUBE? ;-P

4. Comment by J.P. on June 13, 2006 1:47 pm

Don’t forget the power converters. Though I’ve heard that once these things operate on converters they act all screwy when you get back to the states. You may wish to skip on shaving the entire 2 1/2 weeks and the be sure to show everyone a picture when you do because I’m sure you would look extremely woofy.

5. Comment by karyn on June 13, 2006 5:13 pm

You could, of course, just bring a regular manual toothbrush.
    And beard scissors and disposable razors.
    And memory cards.
    Reading material? Really? Karl you’re going to be in LONDON and in PARIS and while I can see the advantage of one or two books, come ON! Are you going to have that much difficulty filling your hours?
    The medications, the ipod & charger, batteries – ok, you’re right about those but you could totally save space elsewise if you’d just ‘dumb’ it down a little bit for two weeks! You big (snobby) baby!

And I don’t know what woofy means – canine in appearance per the hair or “like a dog” as in unattractive -but I agree with JP – skip the shaving altogether and let us see Euro Karl in all his hirsute glory. 🙂

When do you leave again? I’m just so effing jealous.

6. Comment by snarl on June 13, 2006 6:31 pm

Woofy means sexy/manly/hairy.

Though, technically, I’m an otter. What noise do they make?

7. Comment by karyn on June 14, 2006 9:10 am

Good question.

So far it sounds a lot like “waaah! waaaah!” *snicker* Just kidding oh woofy one.

8. Comment by chrispy on June 14, 2006 10:14 am

didnt you get the email? : beards are trendy! oh yes, shopping for “night time” clothes is VERY difficult in the style shtetls of paris and london (rolls eyes) o ye of european fit . you could be very american and just wear t-shirts all the time. “abercrombie otter” or something, youll be tres populaire and instantly recognizable as an american tourist.