How Much Longer?

This is the latest I’ve ever gone without turning on the air-conditioning. It’s been such a bizarre (wet and cold) spring that I’ve not needed it yet. And as my trip to Paris has become closer, I’ve set this silly goal in my head that I want to avoid using it until I return from the trip.

Until now that has been fine. But starting tomorrow, the humidity is supposed to start and by Friday temperatures will be in the 80’s and humid. I think I’m going to have to cave in and turn it on.

I’m still impressed I’ve gone this long. I must be getting older. In years past, I never used heat and was always hot in the winter. This winter, I found things unbearably cold at times (and it wasn’t “that” cold of a winter). And now that it is air-conditioning season, I’m still not hot enough to warrant it. In no time, I’m going to become one of those people with a cardigan sweater on all summer. Ugh – I never wanted to be that person

Can you picture it? Me, a cardigan, Flonase, Kleenex, and a whiny complaint about everything from politics to the weather: “It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.”

1. Comment by Mark on June 14, 2006 10:15 am

I thought that was you now.

/me ducks…

2. Comment by chrispy on June 14, 2006 10:59 am

i can see it now…you salt n pepper hair, purple silk kimono with gold embroidered cranes stroking your siamese cat named “mondrian” whilst being attended to by your manservant, domingo. you wheeze loudly with every breath. you tug at the electrical wires attached to your respirator, theyre tangled up in the leg of that antique needlepoint chair. you call for domingo because your monocle has fallen out of your eyesocket again, and you cant see the photos on smallmuscleotters. “god damn it man wheres my strawberry tonic water?”, echoes through the seaside shanty…

3. Comment by snarl on June 14, 2006 11:01 am

Exactly, Chris!

And that’s me at 37 years old!

4. Comment by chrispy on June 14, 2006 11:25 am

oh i was imagining you at 50!

5. Comment by karyn on June 14, 2006 12:12 pm

Dude that’s been you for 20 years.

6. Comment by karyn on June 14, 2006 12:13 pm

KIDDING!

It has been a cold spring, it’s not to do with your aging and decrepit system doing a 180 on you. Relax. Goals are problematic at best, because we tend to set them in mental concrete when really we should tentatively stake them in a sand dune. Things are fluid; gotta be able to adapt and flex as needed. If you need the effing AC tomorrow, then turn it on and congratulate yourself for making it this far.

7. Comment by keith on June 14, 2006 11:02 pm

I wear cardigans all summer, therefore, I hate you all.

8. Comment by JC on June 15, 2006 9:32 am

Are cardigans an old person thing? I wore one when I was in 8th grade. It was teal with black stripes. Damn I was cool.