Time To Get Their Priorities “Straight”

In the early afternoon yesterday, I got an email from a friend that Lance Bass, of N’Sync, came out as gay. I’ve figured as much since the late 1990’s so, for once, it appears that my gaydar was actually working (I was hoping the gay one would have been his bandmate, Joey Fatone…but that’s a whole other blog post). Anyway, shortly thereafter I saw photos and the Associated Press article in Yahoo! News, Boston Globe Online, CNN.com, and even FoxNews websites.

I got home from work and it was announced on the 4-6:30PM news (Site note: do we need so many hours of news per day – even on the networks?).

Then on the 10:00PM news there was a tiny blurb on an Avian Flu vaccine that seems to be effective in 80% of participants. It could be available by 2007 and eliminate the feared pandemic that would be comparable to the last catastrophic one in 1916 (or some such year).

Yet, once again, the priority news item of the day appeared to be the same-sex dating habits of a singer (who hasn’t even really produced anything in the past 3 years).

Don’t get me wrong – I have nothing against Mr. Bass. And I find it absurd that his little trip to Provincetown with his boyfriend resulted in such blog/media scandal (he was seen at the A-house – oh my!)

HMM – maybe this heat/humidity has made me cranky.

1. Comment by Jeff on July 27, 2006 11:32 am

It’s only supposed to get hotter and more humid – watch out!

I guess people still get all worked up about people’s private lives – slinging dirt on someone is apparently more exciting and interesting than learning about actual news events. If more people actually cared what was going on in this country – things would be a lot different.

2. Comment by chrispy on July 27, 2006 11:35 am

no darling youre always cranky…eh, lance bass is gay, oh well hoo ha. whats really disconcerting is that reichen lemkuhl is the BF! ive seen so much more fallout about the two of them being bfs rather than lance coming out – ie is reichen using lance as a meal ticket, or reichen would never even look in lances direction if it werent for the money he has etc.
    + joey fatone would be my choice too. mmm bears!

3. Comment by Doug on July 27, 2006 2:47 pm

Chrispy…we think alike…what the hell would Body Of God Reichen see in Lance Bass….besides dollar sign$? Its a good way for an ‘actor’ (as he is now billed) to get publicity by getting his more famous boyfriend to come out on the cover of People Magazine (yes Lance is the cover story). Oh…and Joey Fatone belongs to me!

4. Comment by Rob on July 27, 2006 4:18 pm

Personally, I am all for bearing witness to same-sex “dating” habits. However it makes one wonder with all the curiousity out there if in fact the gay population well-exceeds the long believed 10% number.

5. Comment by karyn on July 27, 2006 5:57 pm

RE: Crankiness…. ya think?

You’d be just as much in a knot if the papers paid NO attention to it, snubbing Lance’s Outcoming.

Further, this cannot be too shocking as you know perfectly well that the juicy shit triumphs over the actual news any day of the week.

Go sit by the A/C and calm down before you give yourself an aneurysm. It’ll all be better in the morning.

Kind of.

Or not.

But I digress. Go cool off and calm down, crankypants.