Please keep your arms and heads inside the tour bus at all times

I had a great weekend. I did!

On Friday I came home from work and rested…but then my friend, Eric, picked me up and we headed off to a bar to play pool and chat. I talked my friend and co-worker, Mark (Veselka Slut) to join us. Three games of pool were played:

Karl vs. Eric (I lost by scratching at the very end while trying to get the eight-ball in)

Eric vs. Strange Man (Strange Man one)

Strange Man vs. Mark (Strange Man won – but it was a close game).

All in all, it seems the three of us had a great time.

On Saturday, I did my normal morning errands, then met up with a new North End friend for a chat and such. Afterwards, I got together with somebody who I’ve known for nearly 2 years but lost contact with. Around 2PM I headed up to his Beacon Hill penthouse and we laid up on the roof deck catching the sun for a few yours. As sunset approached, Mike joined us and we sat up there eating pizza and watching the sun set over the Back Bay and Charles River. Quite lovely – and comfortably cool temperature wise!

Mike and I then l planned on seeing a movie, but we were both too tired. We ended up watching a horrible indie film on DVD before he went home and I fell asleep.

But the best day of the week was Sunday. I had a new friend from Connecticut drive up and I got to play tour guide all day. I warned him that there’d be lots of walking…and there was. We met in the North End and walkecd down Prince Street to North Square (Paul Revere house) then Columbus Waterfront park. We had lunch at Rowe’s Wharf before taking the elevator up to the nearby Custom House Tower observation deck (Thanks, John, for letting us sneak in!)

From there were walked up State Street to the Old State House, then to the Granary Burial ground, Boston Common (and the “new” and current State House built in 1797), then to the Public Garden, Back Bay, Newbury Street, Copley Square, Copley Place, Prudential Center and our furthest west spot: the Christian Science Center.

This space is definitely a city gem. The long reflecting pool and grand mother church are so wonderful. Being tourists, and since I hadn’t been to the Mapparium in over a decade, we opted to do that. Now, when I used to go, it was a free exhibit. You just entered this room that housed a 3 story stained glass globe that you can walk through over a glass bridge (so you’re inside the earth looking out).

Now it’s part of a $6 admission price to their “museum”. What a joke. The Mapparium is still worth it, but the musuem is just a bunch of computer kiosks and displays telling you about the religion and it’s founder. Propaganda at it’s worst.

There was one fun exhibit that somehow projects your image onto the wall and then does all of these psychedelic things with your shadow. But I’m not sure of the inspiration for this exhibit since their religion doesn’t allow medicine…yet the creator most definitely had to have been a fan of LSD.

The Mapparium was still cool – though instead of just letting you walk through, they’ve created this silly audio tour.

After the Mapparium, we walked into the South End (having cookie and drinks at Francesca’s Cafe), the walked toward the Theatre District, Chinatown, financial district, Post Office Square, then back to the waterfront and North End. We basically did a circle of the entire central city. He loved it, too (I was worried I was boring him with my stupid trivia – but apparently not). He’s eager to come back to Boston to take in more sights

And I’d be more than happy to have him return so I can put on my tourguide visor again. I miss doing that.