Night of the Dead

After work yesterday, I got together with my friend, John, and headed over to Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge. I had hoped to do it on Sunday with Adam, but we ran out of time (and it’s easier to reach the cemetery by car since it’s not downtown).

Anyway, this was John’s first time and I think he really enjoyed it. It’s so plush and hilly and well maintained. The first thing we did was climb the tower in the middle of the cemetery. From the top you have a 360-degree view of the entire metropolitan area (it’s shocking how quickly things go from urban to plush). We sat up there for about an hour enjoying the view, the conversation and the phenomenal breeze. A few other sight-seers joined us at times, but mostly we had the place to ourselves and just enjoyed the perfect weather.

We then descended and drove around looking at various memorials and ponds and paths. So lovely – despite being home to thousands of corpses.

And speaking of death, it appears that my relationship with Mike is officially dead, too. When I got home, he and I ended up chatting most of the night – discussing issues we both have been facing (or avoiding?) lately. In the end, despite having lots in common, I think it’s best we be friends only. I don’t think either of us is angry at the other. I suspect we both feel disappointed or hurt in some way, but it’s been quite amicable.

I don’t think I’ve blogged about it, but technically, we’ve been “on break” since shortly after returning from Europe. Basically, we were giving each other space to see if we could figure out what we’re looking for.

Apparently we found out.

1. Comment by Brad on August 15, 2006 10:39 am

“Splush and hilly”? I like it when things are “splush”. 😉 It’s a bit of a surprise to hear about the turn that you and Mike have taken, but I’m glad that you were able to work it through in an amicable fashion. I think that shows a great deal of maturity for both of you.

2. Comment by karyn on August 15, 2006 1:34 pm

What the hell is Splush? Great word, whatever it means.

You are the only person I know who can conduct a full-on breakup while “chatting” amiably with your imminent Ex.

And “despite being home to thousands of corpses” is possibly the most macabre thing I have ever read. EVER. European cemetaries, I have read, often have stunning vistas because “you’re a long time dead”. It’s kind of nice… a waste of real estate perhaps but oh well.

3. Comment by snarl on August 15, 2006 3:16 pm

You guys are vicious! PLUSH PLUSH PLUSH.

I’ve since corrected it

4. Comment by Fred on August 15, 2006 3:59 pm

Gee, I actually kinda liked “splush” – it’s rather poetic/onomatopoetic or whatever – if Lewis Carroll could make up apt-sounding words, I certainly vote for the rest of us being allowed, within reason (or is that unreason?).

5. Comment by Will on August 15, 2006 4:29 pm

I agree with Fred–“splush” indicates lots of luxurious greenery with a splashing stream or waterfall dropping into a pond to me. When Fritz and I visited Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater, it was VERY splush!

Sorry about you and Mike, but I do remember your being up front from the beginning about not quite knowing how or if it all fit together. That said, I never like to hear about people I know and like breaking up. Good for you for managing it in a friendly manner.

6. Comment by JC on August 21, 2006 9:24 am

*Ahem* Remember the very first time we met? You promised to take me to Mt. Auburn. Over a year later, and I’m still waiting… 🙂