Sam Champion is the Liberace of Meteorology

I don’t have much to go on aside from the ads I’ve seen on the sides of the buses that pass me on Mass Ave in Cambridge, but that man looks so gay my ass hurts.

He could be the butchest thing on earth when on the air, but his photo alongside the Good Morning America news team makes him look like plastic surgery gone wrong, mixed with blonde hair dye, over-done teeth whitening, and excessive make up. I wouldn’t have noticed if it weren’t for the fact that 6 buses passed me this morning and every single one had his photo on the side.

In other news, my friends Jason and Bryan talked me into going to a play last night. We were supposed to get together for Rummy, but Jason got tickets to See a Gilbert & Sullivan operatta called Iolanthe. As written, the story is set in Eduardian England where a colony of fairies is treated differently than the mortals. A boy, born of a fairy mother and a mortal father wants to marry a mortal – but it causes scandals in both circles.

However, this being Massachusetts and an election year, the director put a bit of a twist on the story by casting the opposite gender in each role. The opening scene consisted of a dozen or so men dressed as fairies prancing on the stage singing the women’s parts. I swear they raided the set of “Priscilla: Queen of the Desert.” The costumes and make-up were amazing (perhaps I saw Sam Champion singing and dancing up there?)

Anyway, the female actors all played the mortal men (hunters, chancellors, etc…) and sang all of the male roles. Basically, the production was all about tolerance. As the Boston Conservatory of Music website stated: it was “both a fairy tale and political satire that evokes controversies over ‘family values’, trule love, and liberalism vs. conservativism.” I had fun – and can’t thank Jason and Bryan enough for dragging me along (I’m so reluctant to be social on school nights – I need people to push my boundaries).

This weekend my friend, Chris, is coming up from Washington, DC (the poor guy will be arriving during tomorrow’s huge wind and rain storm). To expand upon my cultural explorations, we’re going to be seeing the latest Ryan Landry play at the Ramrod Center for the Performing Arts (essentially, the play takes place at Boston’s biggest leather bar). His theatre troupe is doing a spoof of three Twilight Zone episodes…all in drag, of course. Should be fun!

1. Comment by Randy on October 27, 2006 10:15 am

Thats pretty damn funny! “that man looks so gay my ass hurts”
    I have to see these pics now!

2. Comment by Doug on October 27, 2006 11:03 am

Ummm you know of course that Sam IS gay….and married to Greg Louganis.

3. Comment by The Persian on October 27, 2006 12:26 pm

That sounds like it was much fun! Oh you heard about that huge storm coming? Yikes…

4. Comment by Jessie on October 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi Karl!!
    Sorry I haven’t been to your blog in a while – I have no excuse other than the usual ineptitude – but you’ve been busy! I like the pics of the condo you looked at – you’re kitchen is nicer than mine! So, did you decided if you’re going to take it??

5. Comment by Fred on October 27, 2006 1:18 pm

Oh yeah, Sam Champion: gay, gay, GAY! (And good for him, but of course…I didn’t realize he was married to Greg Louganis – that’s a trip…but I knew a guy here in Boston [also big and blond…] who used to date him…). What IS it about weathermen/meteorologists being gay, btw? Anyone have any ideas?

6. Comment by Dave in Chicago on October 27, 2006 1:56 pm

Low pressure fronts are good for the complexion. I’m sure that’s it.

7. Comment by Will on October 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Someday, and before much longer, I have GOT to get to a Ryan Landry production. My gay theater dollar has been going to Speakeasy Stage and Theater Offensive but I need to see some Landry.

8. Comment by Six on October 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Sounds fun!

But who is Sam Champion?

And yes, why ARE so many meteorologists gay?

9. Comment by Danno on April 20, 2007 11:14 am

Do you ever wonder why Sam(antha) frequently wears oversized turtle necked collars and shirts on GMA? Yes, I think most can figure that one out. It’s to hide all of the hickies and stickies he received at the hands of the Glory Hole the night before. I think ABC should put something in his contract restricting this sort of activity to weekends.