These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Despite some basic knowledge of that song, I must admit that I’ve never seen Sound of Music. In fact, I only know this song from when Selma (Bjork) sings it in Dancer in the Dark…this is at the beginning of the movie before she gets hanged mid-song.

Anyway, life is good today (mostly).

Today is the last day I have to work before the office is closed for holiday recess. I don’t return to work for another 12 days (January 2nd)…and I’m not even having to use a single vacation day! In fact, I’m carrying forward 20 unused vacation days into next year. That on top of the 20 days I get next year (plus 3 personal days) gives me enough time that I could effectively take the whole summer off (but I won’t).

I’m also going to Montreal with Randy for a few days next week (a place I’ve not been to in 4 years or more). It’s such a great week to go up there, what with the favorable exchange rate and after-Christmas sales up and down Ste. Catherine Street.

And last night Randy invited me to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in February! His close friends, Ben and Sandy, have a place down there and invited me to join them for a week! WOO HOO – one more country to add to my list of visited countries….and a warm destination during the coldest months of the year (something I’ve not done in 20 years).

Alas, with the good comes the bad. My sister-in-law is back in the hospital. She has yet another infection: her temperature shot up to 104 degrees and she became dillusional/incoherent. She’s been in the ICU for two days (mostly for better observation) and will likely remain in the hospital until after Christmas (she may be transfered to a Boston hospital – in which case I can visit her).

Finally, I’ve been without a home computer for nearly a month now. On November 30th, my computer was dropped off at Best Buy at the Cambridgeside Galleria since it’s under warranty and it kept crashing. I called them the day after I got back from Japan and the technician said my computer was ready to be picked up. Randy and I planned on going over the next day…but then a water main burst and the store got flooded.

It’s been nearly 10 days and the store is still closed. I’ve called repeatedly to find out what the story is and yesterday I was told that all repairs were shipped to another store (South Bay). I’ve called there and I keep getting the run-around. So far I’ve been told:

• “Yours hasn’t been transfered to the new store yet.”
  • “Yours was shipped but we haven’t tested it yet.”
  • “Some product was damaged, in which case it will be replaced, but we have no record that yours was damaged. We’re going to test them all in case they were under water.”
  • “I don’t know what happened to yours. Damaged products require approval from corporate before we can contact the owner about what we’ll do. You’ll get a phone call in the next week or so”

“So was mine damaged?”, I ask.

• “I don’t know if yours was damaged, but I can’t tell you anything until corporate tells me how to proceed.”

“But if you’re waiting to hear from corporate about my mine, doesn’t that mean it’s damaged?”, I ask.

• “Um, no. Um, we’ll just call you when it’s ready.”

Why don’t I trust them?

1. Comment by Randy on December 21, 2006 11:56 am

Oh my goodness. How can I be dating a guy who hasnt seen the sound of music? Well the music is better than anything anyway but still. Come on Karl! Guess when its on next i will have to DVR it.

2. Comment by karyn on December 21, 2006 11:59 am

Because they are a soulless super store?

Dude, you have to see The Sound of Music. Must!

Best thoughts for H & the fam – love you –

3. Comment by Chris on December 21, 2006 1:18 pm

They gone and lost yo box!

4. Comment by snarl on December 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Computer update: it was sent off-site for repair (after the flood, though) and should be ready 12/31/06. However, I don’t understand why it was sent out AFTER the flood when I had called the day I got back from Japan and was told it was ready for pick up.

5. Comment by Doug on December 21, 2006 6:24 pm

In defense of Karl….Randy, how can you be a gay man and not OWN a copy of The Sound of Music??? I have it on VHS, DVD and Laserdisc…along with the album and CD….its must have gay merchandise 🙂

6. Comment by Chris on December 21, 2006 7:03 pm

What’s the sound of music? Is that the one with the little yoldelling girl?

They probably had to send it out after the flood cuz it, you know, got flooded. :-p

7. Comment by Will on December 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Sounds like the usual “left hand doesn’t know what the right hand’s doing” thing with big chain stores. I hope you get it back, working , and with all your struff on it.