The Jury’s Out

Miracle of miracles, I was able to change my jury duty! I was originally scheduled for late last summer. But since crime goes up in the summer, I figured i’d be more likely to get stuck on a trial if I served then (plus, I question the courthouse’s air-conditioning quality). I selected a replacement date the Friday before President’s Day (hoping that no trial would begin the day before a holiday weekend).

Well, they didn’t give me the day I requested and then it fell smack dab in the middle of my newly planned trip to Mexico. I called the court yesterday expecting a fight since the paperwork clearly stated that you can’t change it twice. But the woman was incredibly friendly and not only allowed me to move it without any questions, but gave me free reign to pick any future date! I’m impressed!

Now I can go to Mexico and suffer through Montezuma’s Revenge* without worrying that I’m shirking my civic duties!

OK – quick observation here. Did anybody else watch FORMER (I love saying that) governor Mitt Romney’s lone walk from the state house yesterday? He practically snubbed FORMER (still love it) lieutenant governor Kerry Healey with a quick handshake and good bye. Looking back, he also didn’t seem to help her much during her failed run for governor (he was out of state 212 of 365 days last year – mostly promoting himself as the next presidential contender). I sense some tension there.

*This is a serious concern of mine since my belly is of a delicate constitution…I fear even water entering my mouth while taking a shower will get me sick. oy vey.

1. Comment by karyn on January 4, 2007 12:39 pm

Bottled water and tub baths, baby! Pack the Kaopectate too.

Mitt… don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Or any of the panels from the ceiling inside the Big Dig. Actually… hm. Jerkass.

2. Comment by Ed on January 4, 2007 1:46 pm

Mitt packed it in a long time ago. I’m certainly no Mitt fan but I loathe the next few years with Deval Patrick at the helm.

3. Comment by Will on January 5, 2007 1:14 am

Mitt named Healey to head a big commission–a patronage job of the kind he says he decries–in his final hours as governor, so he hardly snubbed her in the long run.

4. Comment by snarl on January 5, 2007 10:31 am

Did he (Mitt)? HMM- I read about how he made dozens (hundred-plus) lame-duck (patronage) appointments in his last month despite him running his original campaign on ending such practices. What hypocrite.

I hope the moderate republicans…and even the religious right and conservatives…can see him for who he really is before the next presidential election.