With the Good, Comes the Bad

As has been the case over the past few years, when things start going well in my life (work is good, new relationship, fun travels), bad things start happening to those around me.

This past weekend my sister-in-law was brought back into the hospital. This has been an on-going thing for the past year and a half. Most recently she was hospitalized the week before (and of) Christmas. She was re-admitted the week of New Years and then just this weekend she was sent to Boston to spend time in the Intensive Care Unit. She’s still there now.

This time around, her issues are a bit more complicated. First, she has aspirational pneumonia (I think that’s how it’s spelled) and her feeding tube became infected. While testing that, they also discovered that her entire chest is filled with blood clots. Complicating matters, they are unable to tap into any veins in her chest – so treating this is going to result in entering her body via her groin.

Finally, her lungs have been filling up with fluids (though, they seemed to have managed to drain them a bit somehow). Long story short – it sounds like she’ll be in the hospital for a while. My parents have since driven out to western Massachusetts to take care of my niece and nephew while my brother stays at the hospital with my sister-in-law (Heidi). I popped by last night to see how they were doing and, surprisingly, Heidi seemed in pretty good spirits. Aiside from the fact that the entire hospital was hotter than hell (I heard multiple patients complaining), Heidi seemed comfortable and alert. Now it’s just going to be many days of testing, MRI’s, drugs (blood thinners and such), and possible surgeries (to remove the infected feeding tube).

Although I fail to see any silver-lining in all of the shit my familiy has had to go through over the past few years (my 3-year old niece dying, sister-in-law seriously ill, nephew starting to show similar symptoms), having all of this medical drama going on in my family does make me realize how fortunate I’ve been. And despite my pissing and moaning over the inconveniences of common colds and such, I’m an incredibly lucky guy and need to start appreciating that.

1. Comment by Mark on January 11, 2007 12:50 pm

*huge hugs*, poodle. You and your family are in my thoughts.

2. Comment by karyn on January 11, 2007 4:53 pm

Hugs from me too.

You are lucky. Wise to remember that. You are indeed. And loved.

3. Comment by J.P. on January 12, 2007 9:58 am

Hugs to you and for your whole family.

4. Comment by Fred on January 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Indeed on the hugs – all around! – the horrors your/your brother’s family have gone through, and borne with great forbearance, are a big reminder to us all how good we have it, on even the crappiest day. Hope things are looking up for your sister in law, particularly!

5. Comment by Kevin on January 12, 2007 1:59 pm

An extra set of hugs here too.