It’s Official: Americans Simply Cannot Be Trusted!

First we had that fiasco known as the presidential election of 2000. Granted, with just over 105 million people voting Al Gore received slightly more votes than G. W. Bush (48.4% to 47.9%), but George Bush won the electoral college and stole the election. Still…that means nearly 50% of the people voted for G.W. Bush.

Americans simply can’t handle the responsibility of voting.

Fast forward four years and we have another presidential election. Despite unfathomably low approval ratings, G.W. Bush wins again. I can understand the previous election: those 49.9% of the people didn’t know any better. This time they did…and he legitimately got over 50% of the vote.

I repeat: Americans simply can’t handle the responsibility of voting.

And now comes the worst. Last night on American Idol, the American public voted out my Mindy-Doo. There were 60 million votes placed for American Idol* and the majority did NOT vote for her?

I can’t stress enough: Americans simply can’t handle the responsibility of voting.

To be honest, I liked all three finalists. But I do think it should have been Mindy-Doo and Blake in the final two.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Jordin is very talented and very attractive. But Blake is very talented and very attractive, too. The extra thing that Blake has that Jordin doesn’t have (yet) is a presence. He’s got a personality that shows through beyond his talent and appearance. He’s got that little something extra.

But none of this addresses Melinda Doolittle being voted off. I think she may have had the best voice of any contestant on that show (in any season). It was powerful, it was solid, it was pleasing to the ear. I don’t doubt that she’ll pull a Clay Aiken and sell more records than whoever actually comes in first place. She deserves it.

But, come on America…vote responsibly!

*can you believe only 105 million voted for an actual president yet 60 million voted for a TV show?

1. Comment by mindy on May 17, 2007 10:18 am

Melindas of the World Unite!

2. Comment by JC on May 17, 2007 11:07 am

I am never watching American Idol again. Melinda should not only be in the finale, but she should win the whole damn thing. Talk about a pro. The voice, the presence, the performance ability…*sigh* I don’t care anymore who wins this season, they both pale in comparison to Melinda.

3. Comment by Chris on May 18, 2007 6:03 am

Since I think you can vote as many times as you want on those shows, I imagine far fewer people actually voted than it seems. I wasn’t one of them. I’ve never seen that program.

4. Comment by Doug on May 18, 2007 11:16 am

Karl…Im with you….they REALLY need to change the voting rules for Idol. It needs to be like Dancing with the Stars…the judges input needs to balance the idiocy of Americans voting.

Mindy Doo will have a HUGE career regardless of not winning. BTW..have you picked up Elliott’s CD? Its a rather nice ‘Sunday morning coffee’ kind of CD for me.

5. Comment by Louise7 on October 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Good news for you Melinda Doolittle fans! She’s set to release her debut album titled, Coming Back to You on Hi-Fi Recordings in January 09. Produced by Grammy-nominated producer Mike Mangini (Joss Stone, Run DMC, The Jonas Brothers), Coming Back to You was recorded with a team of live musicians in Nashville and New York City.

The first single, “It’s Your Love” will be released to radio in October.

Keep you update about Melinda career at .melindasbackups.

melindasbackups.com is a web site owned by Melinda Doolittle. Melinda’s Backups™ is a non-profit supportive association inspired by Melinda and authorized by her to operate this web site on behalf of her fans.

6. Comment by Louise7 on January 12, 2009 10:43 pm

That you for letting us post about our favorite singer. Without this site, it would be really difficult to share the latest news about them. FREE SONG FROM AMERICAN IDOL’S MELINDA DOOLITTLE! GO TO http://www.melindadoolittle.com and get it NOW – FREE! New album released on February 3, 2009! Don’t miss it!