A Reunion of Sorts

This trip to San Francisco has kind of just crept up on me. I mean, there wasn’t much planning involved. Randy got our tickets back in May – before we even went to Europe. His company coordinated the hotel for us (since they’re paying for it all). So, unlike most trips of mine, I’ve not really had to think much about this one until this week. And now it’s only a day away.

I think another reason I’ve not planned this trip to death (as i normally do) is that I’ve already been there before: twice on vacation, plus I lived there for 6 months. But now that the trip is imminent, I’m getting more excited. It was exactly 10 years ago that I lived in San Francisco and by the end of the trip it will also be 9 years since my last vacation there. I’ve heard a lot has changed so in some ways this will feel like a high school reunion where you recognize people (or in the case, places and things) but they just look older or different.

New buildings, extended public transit, closed shops, new shops, old restaurants, new restaurants. I’m very eager to backtrack to my old stomping grounds on Nob Hill and catch a glimpse of my old street, my old office building, my old favorite restaurants. I remember the crispness of the air (none of that humidity like east coast cities). I also remember the negative things, too: excessive homelessness, condoms on the street, lack of trees.

One reunion that I was hoping for but will not take place is meeting up with Matt…my ex. We were together for nearly 10 years. He moved to San Francisco 6 months after our break-up. I emailed him a few months ago that I was finally making it back to San Francisco and that I’d love it if we could get together (either just the two of us or him and his boyfriend and me and Randy). But he (politely) emailed back that he wishes only for the best for me but for his own mental health he needs to close that chapter of his life.

Such a shame..for the first time in 2 years we’ll be in the same city (ironically on what would be our 12th anniversary) yet we won’t be able to see each other.

Oh well, it looks like I’ll be seeing lots of other things instead since Randy and I are going to rent a car and head up to Mendocino for a few days toward the end of the trip. We’re staying at this little lodge overlooking the Pacific – they even bring a contintental breakfast basket to our door every morning! Can’t beat that.

I’m bringing my camera (of course) and Randy is bringing his laptop (of course) so I hope to be updating my blog periodically (of course).

1. Comment by Mark on July 13, 2007 10:38 am

I’m sorry about the whole Matt thing. I know it’s disappointing to you. *hugs*

Have fun out there! Peruse some porn shops in the Castro for me!

2. Comment by The Persian on August 15, 2007 2:53 pm

I lived with my ex 3 years, we have been broken up now for 4, it was an intense relationship, we were never apart one night in the entire duration of the relationship. We still are incredibly uncomfortable around each other. We split amicably, yet avoid each other like the plague.

I get uneasy even thinking about him (like now)…

I (sadly) can understand sort of what your ex is/was doing. I might have done the same thing.

🙁

Hope you are doing well !!