You Mess with the Bulls and You Get the Horns

So Citibank just charged me an annual fee for my credit card. I had this card with them back in the 90’s but canceled it when they began offering their “Thank You” rewards card. When they asked why I canceled the card, I told them it was because the other card offered no annual fee. The representative said that I should have let her know because they’d just permanently waive the annual fee to keep me as a customer.

Well, I signed back up again…and now the annual fee has reappared. Only this time, it’s gone from $50/year to $85/year. And I won’t stand for it, dammit! Credit card companies are raping people with their interest rates and fees (annual fees, fees to use the card in another country).

I’d hate to cancel the account since I’ve been with Citibank for nearly 18 years – but I’m a cheap bugger and I’d do it to save $85/year! Besides, Randy has shown me other cards with similar benefts that don’t charge a fee.

In other news, I know my flight from Virginia was just an hour and a half…and it didn’t cross through any time zones…but I still feel a sense of jetlag this morning. It probably has to do with my flight yesterday being at 6:45AM. Add to that having to be at the airport an hour before my flight, and another 45 minutes for getting ready in the morning and you have one grumpy, sleepy Karl.

1. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on August 21, 2007 10:16 am

Chase Freedom card is uber-flexible. And not that I work for them. Actually, I don’t have their card, but I keep hearing it has great benefits. I still have an ancient Citi (miles) card, which is annual free. Call them and ask them to waive the fee again — all they can do is say “no”.

2. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on August 21, 2007 2:28 pm

Oh, and get your hand off that goat. NOW.

3. Comment by J.P. on August 21, 2007 2:35 pm

When I’m up that early in the morning I get jetlag from crossing the street.

4. Comment by snarl on August 21, 2007 5:25 pm

FYI – they gave me a credit so I have kept the card. I just hope this doesn’t become an annual hassle.

5. Comment by jeff on August 21, 2007 10:16 pm

You said “I’d hate to cancel the account since I’ve been with Citibank for nearly 18 years – “. I’d say dump ’em. I felt that way about my Chase card I had for almost 10 years but then reminded myself that I mean absolutely nothing to them. I’ve got one card left and I’m thinking of going completely credit card free. There’s always check cards.