So Sad to Say Good Bye

Randy came over after work last night. The original plan was to continue the on-going project of converting my Dad’s record albums (yep, vinyl) into MP3 files (his belated Father’s day/upcoming wedding anniversary present). While the albums were recording, I also planned to begin packing/tossing knick-knacks. As you probably already know, I’m moving in with Randy in a month or so.

I’d originally told my landlords that I’d move out on October 13 since it’s easier/cheaper to move out mid-month. They were fine with that. Then yesterday their broker showed the unit to the first person and he fell in love with the place. He also told both the broker and the landlord that he loved the way I’d set up the place. Methinks my replacement may be family.

Anyway, he wanted the unit a bit earlier so I’m actually now moving out sometime BEFORE October 7. Which is all fine and good – but it’s also why I figured I’d start sifting through my belongings last night.

However, since it was such a gorgeous night, we opted to go for a walk before starting the MP3 and packing process.

I think it was a big mistake to go for that walk around my neighborhood! EVERYTHING was just so perfect: the slight smell of low tide, the perfect temperature, the lovely sunset, the subtle cracking of waves, the creaking of boats, the free concert at Columbus Park, the crowds enjoying tasty Italian meals and pastries.

Sigh – I’m giving this all up in a month’s time. Then again, I’m also gaining to so much more.

But it’s going to require some adjusting. I already told Randy that we’re going to have to venture into Boston at least once (hopefully more) per month for dinners/walks in the city. It’ll no longer be my backyard – but at least it’ll be a next door neighbor.

1. Comment by Will on August 29, 2007 1:16 pm

Earth to Karl, Earth to Karl, you’re moving to Somerville, not Billings, Montana. Somerville’s still part of Greater Boston and it’ll all be there waiting for you. I’ll be doen there at least three times a month for performances, shopping, friends and bits of work–and i live in southern NH.

I understand–I fell in love with Boston when I came up from New York for college and it just got better and better.

My house in Roslindale sold to “family” and for the same reason. Eric loved what I’d done with my ceilings and other parts of the house. He’d been looking for two years for a house “with some character.” I warned my realtor that the character was moving out, but Eric bought it anyway. Fortunately the style of the place was the reason I was able to sell in a horrendous market as quickly as I did.

Good luck with the move–and yes, you’re gaining something wonderful.

2. Comment by Brad on August 29, 2007 2:31 pm

It shows you how out of communication we’ve been. I didn’t even know you were moving. That said, I agree with Will, you’re only going to Somerville. Yes, it’s suburbia, but not lower Mongolia. 😉

3. Comment by Dave Daniels on August 31, 2007 9:28 am

Somerville isn’t so bad. Lots of family over there. But you DON’T want to move to the REAL ‘bubs, like Framingham. Ew. I’ll always love the Fenway, so close, and yet so far.

4. Comment by Randy on August 31, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks guys for supporting the fact that Somerville is not “out” there. Yes we are all OUT but come on residential is one thing, sticks is another. Welcome to d’ville Karl