It Was Bound to Happen One Day

I lost at Scrabble.

Deano came over last night for what has become our Tuesday night ritual: Scrabble and dinner (then more Scrabble). Things started off well enough: I won the first game by about 37 points.

But things took a turn for the worst in the second game with just his first word: “hoopers.” Apparently, a hooper is a person who makes baskets. Who knew? Anyway, not only did the “s” in hoopers connect to another 7-letter word, but “hoopers” also used all of his letters, resulting in a 50-point bonus. He may even have finagled a double word score in there, too because this one word gave him 79 points.

For me, that wasn’t a good start to the game. In the end, he managed to beat me by 13 points. I was able to close the gap slightly, but just not enough to be victorious. Congratulations, Deano – you’ve ruined Scrabble night.

I think our Tuesday night Scrabble ritual is over now. I shall never play again.

1. Comment by jeff on November 21, 2007 7:17 pm

I did not know that a hooper makes baskets, one would think they make hoops. The only hooper I now is Mr. Hooper, from Sesame Street, and sadly, he’s dead.

2. Comment by snarl on November 22, 2007 12:01 am

I wouldn’t know about Sesame Street. From what I heard this week, the earlier episodes were geared towards adults and I was too young to watch that children’s program.

3. Comment by karyn on November 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Courage, Camille. You will play Scrabble again, and all shall be well. And? I LOVE that photo! LOL!

4. Comment by snarl on November 24, 2007 10:24 am

Hey, Karyn!

Good to hear from you again…FINALLY!

So, I expected you’d like the photos fo me from back in our high school days!

5. Comment by Will on November 25, 2007 6:11 pm

I might believe some negative things about but not that you’re a sore loser–you’re too nice a guy. I agree with Karyn that you’ll play again and get back in your groove.

6. Comment by snarl on November 25, 2007 10:03 pm

It’s true….we’ve already arranged to play again this Tuesday. The ritual continues.