Is This a Cruel Joke?

26.9!

Twenty six point nine! That’s how many inches of snow that has fallen in Boston despite the fact that winter hasn’t even officially started yet. That’s already nearly 10 inches more than we had all of last winter. Mother Nature sure is playing a cruel trick on us.

Oh, and to top it all off, Deano kicked my ass in Scrabble on Tuesday night. We played two games. I won the first game by what I thought was a handsome margin (I was just under 300 and he was about 240). Then the second game began and he made two words that used up all of his letters (a 50 point bonus…times 2). Slinkier and Tardiest are my least favorite words this week.

It didn’t help that the last 7 letters I had in my hand after retrieving the final ones from the bag were H, J, X, V, Q, Z, and R. Seriously – who thought that was even possible? I had no consonants at all and six of the letters with the highest point value to be stuck with when Deano goes out with nearly 400 points.

At one point toward the beginning of the game I had all vowels (everything but the U).

And there was one final trick that fate played on me this week. I got home from work last night and, with Randy away on business, shoveled the driveway and sidewalk. There was about 4 inches of snow…fortunately light and fluffy….but I still sweated up a storm and entered the house wet and cranky.

Wouldn’t you know that not 10 minutes after settling in, Randy shows up at the door having caught an earlier flight. Of course I was thrilled to see him home early…but couldn’t he have at least arrived BEFORE I did all of the shoveling myself?

Santa better be good to me, dammit.

1. Comment by jeff on December 21, 2007 5:36 pm

Does “tardiest” mean the one who is most late, or the one who is the most retarded?

2. Comment by snarl on December 21, 2007 6:37 pm

ouch!

3. Comment by Will on December 24, 2007 3:42 pm

Karl and Randy–

Have a great Christmas, and a happy, healthy, love-filled New Year!