Finally! Some Good News!

After dealing with all of the bad news of the last few weeks (storms killing people in the south, the war in Iraq, economy spiraling into a recession, friends being laid off), we were all finally blessed with good news yesterday:

Mitt Romney is suspending his presidential campaign. It concerns me that it’s considered a suspension as opposed to a termination, but I’ll take what I can get. Upon hearing the news yesterday (less then 48 hours after a poor showing in the primary in which he claimed he’d continue to fight on*) I actually sighed audibly with relief. I smiled, and a sense of calm took over me.

To be honest, if I was a more motivated person I’d have emailed everybody I know locally (and asked them to email all of their local contacts, and so on and so on) for a celebration in front of the Romney for President headquarters in the North End. I had images of thousands of people cheering in the streets as Romney looked out the window.

Does that make me a bad person?

* flip-flop much, Mitt?

1. Comment by mindy on February 8, 2008 10:53 am

Did you see Jon Stewart’s response last night? Find it on the website if you haven’t.

2. Comment by Will on February 8, 2008 11:08 am

The problem with Romney, of course, is that you can’t ever trust him–the suspension could be a ploy or something he decides to change his mind about somewhere down the line. The speech yesterday was a major harangue in support of intolerance, divisiveness and exclusion. My concern is that we may have seen the last of him–but only for now.

3. Comment by Fred on February 8, 2008 1:19 pm

Yeah…”Ding-dong the Witch is…..in suspended animation?!” ARGH! Let’s hope he’s REALLY, REALLY gone, and that his investments have been plummeting in the current market (making it unwise for him to continue to bankroll all that craven divisive phoniness….) too!

Here’s hoping! I’d certainly join the street party – hey, we might get free computers (with our beers) .