Feeling Violated

Last night I stored the scooter in the garage since it was supposed to be so cold and windy today (not much fun scootering about with 40 mile per hour winds and a windchill hovering in the low teens). However, when Randy and I prepared to leave this morning, we noticed some peculiar things:

First, one of the garage windows was wide open. The second thing was that some slats to the tall wooden fence in our backyard were either missing or damaged. Randy’s best guess is that somebody tried to climb over the fence, then tried to sneak into our garage.

They wouldn’t have gotten much very easily since the two cars filling most of the garage either had the “club” on the wheel, Lojack, or an alarm…or all three. The scooter was also double-locked. The only other item in there that anybody could have taken was the snowblower against the back wall…but to steal that would require moving the cars our first.

Anyway, I suppose it appears to be a theft attempt. I suppose it could have been the wind (perhaps a heavy gust of wind snapped a piece of fence or caused a limb to hit the fence? We did wake up to find trash barrels rolling around the neighborhood, so that’s not unlikely). Or perhaps (and I know this is pushing it), maybe the wind coming up from under the garage door was so strong that the pressure caused the window to slide upward.

No, I think we were violated. Maybe it’s time to move to rural Vermont. I wonder if Bennington is hiring?

1. Comment by Lise on March 21, 2008 10:00 am

Or Lancaster. Town of 7th Day Adventists – and no crime. Seriously, people leave their doors unlocked so that if they’re out & something happens the neighbors can get in. Where the cops have so little to do that when your garage door is stuck they come over and get it open. And there’s a college right in town – Atlantic Union. Though of course it is a 7th Day college…. 😉

2. Comment by jeff on March 21, 2008 4:45 pm

You need to move out of that sketchy neighborhood. There’s a house for sale here in my sketchy neighborhood……

3. Comment by Will on March 23, 2008 2:19 pm

I don’t think any of that happened–I DO think the scooter had been noticed and became a target–I’m very happy for you they didn’t get it.