Bringing the Romance Back

I had a doctor’s appointment in the city yesterday afternoon and Randy has been attending a seminar in the financial district the past few nights so we decided to meet up after work to roam around the city, take photographs, and have dinner.

Since I finished my appointment before his seminar got out, I sat along the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Specifically, in the North End parks. They sure look nice enough, but the benches area long Cross Street (though, facing the fountains/grass) so it’s like you’re in the middle of a highway median strip. The trucks and traffic going by directly behind you make this less than a pleasant place to rest. At least it looks pretty.

I then walked to the Hilton Hotel on Batterymarch Street and met up with Randy. We strolled throughout the financial district taking photographs of the great old buildings mixed in with the modern hi-rises. Our route was quite circuitous but we ended up in Downtown Crossing, then walked through the Boston Common and Public Garden before strolling down Newbury Street and ultimately to our final destination: Morton’s Steakhouse (which is actually one block over on Boylston).

Friends of ours had given us a gift certificate for Christmas so this was the perfect time to use it. Randy had found a coupon on-line that provided us with a huge bounty of food a total of $99: We shared the bread, then I had a Morton’s salad, scallops wrapped in bacon, filet mignon and a molten lava chocolate cake (using Godiva chocolate). Randy had a Caesar salad, jumbo shrimp, filet mignon, and opted for the same dessert as me.

We both left the restaurant bloated, yet content, and hopped on the subway back home.

It was quite a lovely evening, actually. And it was nice to be back in the city. We need to do this more often. And it’s tragic that we don’t considering how close Somerville is to Boston (they’re neighbors, for crissakes).

1. Comment by jeff on May 7, 2008 5:07 pm

You should make Randy move with you to the city. I think you’d be happier there.

2. Comment by Karl on May 7, 2008 5:26 pm

I’m working on him! But then HE wouldn’t be happier.

I thought I’d come up with the perfect compromise: still live just outside the city, but within a few blocks of the subway. He gets his garage and yard, I get my reasonable commute and pedestrian conveniences.

It’s a win-win!