On Being Avuncular

Am I? I sometimes wonder. I’ve got a niece and a nephew of my own who I love and support as an uncle should. But by the same token, I like the fact that as an uncle I get to hand them back to their parents at the end of the day. Kids typically are not my thing.

But yesterday morning I got a text message from Randy saying that his brother and sister-in-law had their third child; a second son. The text message actually said “We’re uncles again.”

That, plus the fact that Randy’s mom referred to herself as my mother-in-law this past weekend, pretty much means that I’ve been welcomed into the family. And since they’ve all be so sweet, that’s something I’m quite thrilled about.

But this also means I’ve got yet another trip to take this summer. It appears that we’ll be heading to Tennessee for Labor Day weekend for a christening. Well, we’ll stay in Tennessee (where is brother lives)…but the christening will take place in, gasp, Kentucky (where his wife’s family is from)!

Hmm – since Randy and I aren’t married, though, does this make me an uncle to two nieces and nephews or five?

1. Comment by Dennis on July 11, 2008 7:31 am

Trust me, as a resident of Knoxville, TN. The term “Uncle” will not likely be what you will be called here LOL Just kidding, it actually is a decent place to live….if a bit rural for me (from Atlanta)
    When my partner and I became a couple, I took on the role as his God daughters “uncle” also. I would just act as if your family has indeed expanded by 5.
    Good luck!

2. Comment by mindy on July 11, 2008 9:42 am

Take all the nieces & nephews that you can get, I think. (I’m called “aunt” to several of my friend’s kids — it’s a convenient way to say “you’re like family”)