High Drama

I always knew that my old high school had a good reputation for the plays and musicals they would put on. Well, at least its reputation on Cape Cod was always pretty good. But the WB has been airing webisodes of a show called “High Drama: Against all Oz” which takes place at good ole’ Barnstable High School.

Apparently, my old high school has the largest public school auditorium in all of New England (1,400 seats). Back when I was a student there, that would house the entire high school population. Nowadays it can only accomodate half of the school. YIKES!

It’s interesting to watch this show, though. For one, I never really thought of Cape Codders having a Boston accent – but they really do. Funny, I don’t recall that from when I lived there (20 years ago). I know there has been a huge population increase down there…maybe the new generation are all transplants from the city?

As for the play they’re putting on (The Wizard of Oz) it’s a pretty spectacular production. Mr. Sullivan, the drama teacher, is still there. The sets are amazing. And the elaborate use of props (smoke machines, lifts, trapeze…even a live horse) is pretty impressive. Who funds these things?

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that the full play airs on the WB…it’s just a makingĀ of documentary about how a high school puts together such a spectacle.

Damn – I’d have watched that.

1. Comment by snarl on October 24, 2008 9:49 am

Oh, and the photo above is of our 1983 Barnstable 6th Grade School production of Alice in Oz.

Judging by our costumes (I’m on the left) and the set, i think we could have used a better budget.

2. Comment by Lise on October 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Was it as good as Hamlet 2 though?

3. Comment by snarl on October 24, 2008 4:00 pm

hehe…did you see the movie? I was intrigued, but never went.

4. Comment by Lise on October 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Oh yeah – I thought I emailed you about it. It’s really funny – not everyone’s cup of tea but for the most part very successful. Steve Cogan rocks (as does Catherine Keener). And the actual show is really good – and rather moving. Rent it.

5. Comment by Karyn on November 2, 2008 5:04 pm

The play was incredible, btw. I was highly skeptical…but Sullivan pulled off a fantastic show. Even my two weiner kids sat through it in its entirety, rapt.