Comcast Sucks!

I hate bartering. It’s the one thing I despise about traveling the world; in different cultures, it’s not normal to haggle on prices of things. It’s not me. Tell me the price of something, sell it for the same price to everybody else, and everything is great.

I resent the fact that I could be sitting on a plane next to somebody who paid half what I did (though, with Randy’s and my smarts, we are probably more often than not the ones in the cheap seats). I resent car dealers and real estate brokers trying to sell you on things you don’t need, and I resent Comast for being such dicks.

A little over year ago Randy worked from home so he had the Comcast Triple Play (phone, internet, cable). When his job changed, he no longer need the home phone. He asked to drop the phone but keep cable and internet. Their response: the price would go up!

UP!…to use less service!

So we played a little trick and he called as a potential new customer. They offered him a cheaper rate with free installation. So, we canceled the account under his name and signed up under my name.

Flash-forward one year and my 1-year promotional rate for cable and internet (which had hovered in around $90) expired and the rates jumpted to nearly $140 for just cable and internet….and we don’t subscribe to any premium channels).

I called to see if we were eligible for any promotional deals and they said no, but if we want to get phone service, they’d give us phone, cable, and internet for $114. WTF? What is it with them giving you a cheaper rate only if you use more of their services. I don’t get it. I can have two products of $140…but I can have 3 products for $114? Shouldn’t is be the other way around?

Anyway, Randy called RCN and they did the opposite. They went all out to give us the cheapest rate possible. We are getting the exact same TV stations we had before (actually, it appears we’re getting even more HD channels), DVR, an extra cable box for the bedroom (free), free HBO for 3 months, free installation, one month of free service, and no contract. Oh yeah…and it’s all costing us $72/month.

That’s HALF the price of what Comcast was offering.

Now, I still hate that haggling is involved. I’d be happier if RCN offered that rate to everbody who calls for service. But I suspect they don’t. But at least they didn’t act like the monopoly Comcast is and essentially say “this is what you’ll get, and you’ll like it.”

Oh, RCN did the switch the next day and the service/reception has been great. So far, so good.

1. Comment by comcastcares1 on January 26, 2009 11:19 am

I am sorry to learn that we have lost you as a customer. If there is anything I can do to earn you back as a customer please let me know. I work for Comcast and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

2. Comment by Fred on January 26, 2009 12:03 pm

SCARY on Comcast instantly being on you…Big Brotherish, even…and, yeah, they do suck…though I think Cox, who are a true monopoly down here in RI where I am, may even be worse. I wish I had RCN around…Verizon’s no better…all these companies are, well, vile in the basic way they structure their sales and billing…. I think I pay nearly as much for bandwidth, in various forms (cable, phone, internet, cell) as I do for HEAT…that just doesn’t seem right…

3. Comment by snarl on January 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Interesting. Gee, Comcast…don’t you think it’s a little too late to apologize now? Maybe if you were more helpful to your customers WHILE they are customers they wouldn’t leave? I guess I’m fortunate that I’m in a location that has other options.

And I’m not saying RCN is the best thing ever, either. Like Comcast, I have the same issues with them not having set prices, too.

And, Fred, I agree…it is scary that Comcast managed to comment on my blog only an hour or so after I uploaded my post. Again, why couldn’t they have been that attentive before?

4. Comment by Ed on January 26, 2009 1:21 pm

I’m satisfied with my comcast service overall. Yeah I have to reboot the router every once in a while but overall few issues. My issues is the same as yours Karl. My promotion just ran out and my bill went from $130/month to $178/month. I checked with Verizon and RCN for their rates and they are compedative with the $130/month I was paying. I called Comcast and ask for my old rate letting them know I was thinking of switching. I was transferred to retention who told me no I can’t have my old rate but they could give me a rate of $155/month and Starz would be included. My conversation continued for 10 minutes and went around in a circle. Bottom line they will not give me my old rate. I like Comcast but it’s simple economics by going with Verizon Fior I can save $500/year for a smilar and in some ways superior service. Comcast is going to get one last call from me because I really hate to switch. If they can’t match my old offer I’m going with Verizon.

Shame on you carl for grouping me in with Comcast and car salesmen.

5. Comment by snarl on January 26, 2009 1:24 pm

And shame on you, Ed, for spelling my name wrong after knowing me for 12 years!

If FIOS was offered in Somerville, we’d jump at the opportunity!

6. Comment by Ed on January 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Sorry Karl I was typing too fast without proofreading before posting. We’re even now..

Ed

7. Comment by Fred on January 26, 2009 2:44 pm

Be careful of Fios – consumer buzz has it that Verizon installs Fios and then cuts your old copper lines (not necessarily telling you) so you can’t go back to old-fashioned landline service with a competitor. Charming, huh?

8. Comment by Jeffrey on January 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Gee, all this sounds like fun but I think I’ll stick to my rabbit ears and DSL connection, sans telephone. Comcast just got the contract in Pembroke, can’t wait ’till they come a knockin and I can tell ’em where to put that cable line! But seriously, that comment from “Mark” is really creepy!!

9. Comment by Jeff Sawyer on January 27, 2009 11:31 am

I recently had an issue with Comcast as well. After hearing so much about @comcastcares’ helpfulness on Twitter, I decided to ask about it there first, but it ended up being much more useful for me to find the info I mention on my blog about Comcast’s signal levels, check those and then call Comcast…

It’s great that they’re trying to do more for customer service, but it doesn’t appear that they have everything linked up yet… Other than this one experience with Comcast, I’ve been happy. I get fairly good speeds usually and can’t complain too much… I pay a little too much for TV, but the Internet bill isn’t too bad. I couldn’t agree with your prices more — Comcast pricing is all kinds of random.

10. Comment by snarl on January 27, 2009 11:45 am

Exactly! I should mention that the service (not customer service, but actual internet and cable reception) were both pretty decent. Though, our new RCN cable box is MUCH faster than any of the previous Comcast ones we had. I can’t really credit RCN with that…it’s probably just a newer box.

But customer service with Comcast? Not so much.

11. Comment by Ed on January 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Talked to Comcast retention dept last night. Those peoople are really a piece of work. After 15 minutes of back and forth my rate is back down to $130/month minus HBO. Fine with me for now but this whole thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

12. Comment by snarl on January 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Come join us on the other side, Ed! RCN (has been good to us so far!)

13. Comment by Randy on January 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Yea Ed if you reference us we get a free month of cable too:)
    Karl what 3 days of comcast… no new blog.. whats happened too much snow for you to think?

14. Comment by Peter on August 11, 2009 3:12 pm

As I was moving in to a new location, I needed cable and internet services. I called Comcast three times and got three different rates/prices on the same services request. It is amazing how they set up a system to SCAM and STEAL customers money!!! Yes, Scam and Steal!