The Great Cape Escape

Easter is one of those holidays I just don’t get. Granted, I’m not religious…at all…but I still get excited for Christmas, even excitedly playing Christmas music beginning in late October. And I love Memorial Day since it signals the beginning of summer.

But Easter doesn’t make sense to me. All other holidays are either on a specific date (Christmas=December 25, Independence Day=July 4), or follow a understandable scheduling (Labor Day=1st Monday of September, Memorial Day=last Monday in May). But Easter seems to show up whenever the hell it wants to. Sometimes it’s March, sometimes it’s a month later in April.

And I never unerstand why (most) stores aren’t open, mostly because I don’t understand the holiday itself. Somebody this year refered to it as Zombie Jesus Day. I like that.

Anyway, Easter means more to my parents than it does to me (despite them having not stepped foot in a church in two decades). So, Randy and I headed down Saturday afternoon to spend Easter Sunday with them. We played cards, we played RummiKub, we eate lots of food. And on Saturday night Randy and I headed to my hometown gay bar. Our friends, Zach, Jeff, and Chris were in Plymouth visiting their family so they drove to the Cape to join us.

It was actually quite fun. And surprisingly integrated (something you don’t see much of in Boston). Yeah, it was mostly white, but I saw a black guy, an Asian guy, a presumably transgender American Indian guy, a Brazilian guy, old guys, twinks, and a handful of women. And when you consider that there couldn’t have been more than 25-30 people in the entire place, that’s pretty impressive!