Snow and D’oh!

Randy and I attended our second to last holiday party this weekend. Just before the snow storm we went to a party in Reading. Now all that’s left is the Christmas Eve party on the Cape at the house of some friends of our family.

In the past, my family has always opened Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve…or earlier. Back when we were kids, Santa came to our house early because a) he knew we were driving up to Boston to spend the holidays and b) our name was at the beginning of the alphabet and he delivered gifts in alphabetical order (at least, that’s what I believed).

As we got older we just kept to that tradition. Apparently, I’ve got a very impatient family. But then Randy comes along and ruins everything. Up until last year, we’d open gifts before or after attending our friend’s party on Christmas Eve. Last year, Randy forced us to wait until Christmas morning.

The jerk.

Anyway, this past weekend we also went out to my brother’s place in Easthampton to drop off Christmas gifts and check out the new addition to their house. They had a new master bedroom suite added that is wheelchair accessible for my sister-in-law. The addition looks great. The inspection just happened last week so they’ve not moved their belongings in yet. But they should hopefully settle in soon.

And speaking of settling in, I think Randy and I are officially settled into our new place. There are a few small things here and there, but overall we are done, I think. Though, I think Randy is already thinking about moving. First he was comlaining about “all the stairs.” Then he was saying he wished we had a single family house so we could get a hot tub.

Then last night, he drove into the garage. Now, I’m not saying he drove into the garage and parked…I’m saying he drove into the actual building. Ooops. Now there’s a fairly substantial dent and scrape along the rear passenger side door.

Ironically, as we were heading out to my brother’s place on Saturday he snapped at me for coming dangerously close to the garage door frame as I was backing out. Two days later, he didn’t just come close, he actually scraped along it. He best not yell at me again!

In his defense, the garage door opening is surprisingly narrow.

In my defense, at least I didn’t do it.

1. Comment by Randy on December 22, 2009 11:19 am

In my defense, LOVE ME!

2. Comment by Godlen on December 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Although I have never owned a garage, even out here in suburbia, I certainly have driven in a few. I cannot for the life of me figure out why, oh, why, they can’t add at least 6 more inches to the width of a garage door?!! I mean, come on, it wouldn’t cost *that* much more. Much less, in fact, than it will cost to fix your car door!

3. Comment by Jeffrey on December 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Since you hit your own house with your own car, do you file a claim under your auto or home insurance policy? Will your insurance company sue itself, or settle out of court. I’d call one of those fleabag channel 38 lawyers right away!

4. Comment by snarl on December 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Complicating things is that you can’t just drive straight into the garage. You have turn into it while trying to squeeze into the opening. Add the snow mounds that make the driveway area even narrower than normal, and it’s a recipe for disaster.

5. Comment by Chris on December 23, 2009 1:22 pm

So was he talking on the phone or texting when he hit the garage door?