Time To Get Away (Again)

It feels like we just returned from Virginia last week (oh wait, we did just return from Virginia last week), but we’re already heading away for another long weekend later today. This time, there will be no planes – but it will involve automobiles and perhaps a boat.

Provincetown – here we come!

We’ve got nothing officially planned yet, but it will likely include three or four days at the beach, attendance at Friday night’s Varla Jean Merman performance, strolling the East End gallery openings on Friday, endless people watching, and lots and lots of over-priced unhealthy foods.

In other news, VERY Roman Catholic Argentina legalized same-sex marriage today. Go South America!

And finally, there is some good news about the BP oil fiasco in the Gulf of Mexico (the new cap). Now, I’m probably going to get lectured (and by all means share your perspective and educate me if you think I’m wrong)…but I don’t understand why everybody is hating on BP. I mean, yes, this is a catastrophic disaster to that region. But it’s not like BP caused this mess intentionally. This could just as easily have happened to Exxon/Mobil, Chevron, or any other company.

Yeah, you could say they should have implemented those added safety features that I read about in the news shortly after the disaster, but our country didn’t have requirements to do so (apparently, other countries do). You can’t blame BP for that…it wasn’t required of them. Blame big oil lobbyists.

I also don’t understand how you can blame Obama (which many are doing). He’s not an oil well specialist. He can’t be expected to know the immediate solution. Hell, even the experts can’t figure out a quicker solution..how could he?  All he can do is push BP to pay for their mistake (which they have agreed to do) and push for a solution (which, from what I can tell, he and BP have been doing).

But perhaps now is the time to implement stricter regulations for those back-up safety precautions (which I read cost about $1M per rig). Of course, I’m sure big-business politicans and lobbyists (typically, Republican, but not exclusively) will say that’s bad for businesses and unfair.

But more unfair is what the residents, small businesses, and sea animals are having to deal with now – and for the forseeable future.

1. Comment by Randy on July 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I would love to see reactions from people who live outside of your liberal boston bubble to your comments

2. Comment by Jeffrey on July 15, 2010 2:42 pm

I wouldn’t.