Return to Normalcy

I’m really craving a return to normalcy in my life. First we have the snow.

Oh, the snow. I was excited about the first storm. I do love a nice storm and the 18.5 inches we got in Arlington made for some pretty sights. But then it remained cold and it didn’t melt. And two weeks later we had snow storm number two which dropped 23 inches of snow in Arlington. Again, it was pretty to look at. And this time around it was heavy and remained on the tree limbs for many days. Ah, the beauty of winter.

But it remained below freezing and it wasn’t melting.

Then yesterday it snowed 3-5 inches, then turned to rain. OK, enough already. The beauty is gone, the inconvenience is now persistent. My commute is consistently from hell. And we’re supposed to get another inch or so tonight then another half foot or more on Friday? I’m not sure my aging body…nor our roof…can take any more.

But at least another part of my life is actually going to return to normal since the weather apparently won’t. Randy returns from his nearly two week business trip Korea and Japan tomorrow night. I’m not sure if this has been his longest business trip to date, but I think it might be.

Of course, his return will be short-lived as he flies off to Austin on Tuesday for a few days. But  at least the time zone will only be one hour different and not fourteen hours.

And then there’s my Dad.  Since autumn he’s been weak and lightheaded. All he wants to do is sleep, his blood sugar is dangerously low, and he keeps falling down (which, at nearly 82 years old is a recipe for disaster). After hearing that he’d fallen yet again over the weekend I headed down to see how my parents were doing.

That night as we were all sleeping I heard a loud crash, then my mother screaming for me to come help. I ran to the master bedroom to find that my dad had fallen…again…while trying to get to the bathroom at 4:30am.

We made an appointment the next day and he saw the doctor. I went in with my Dad and told the doctor everything I’d been observing. He’s now (FINALLY) trying a new medication, he’s doing physical therapy to re-gain his strength, and he’s having an MRI to see what’s going on in his brain to cause all of these problems.

So, in conclusion, to return to normalcy:

• Snow? Gone
  • Randy? Home
  • Dad? Healthy

Got it?

1 Comment(s)

1. Comment by randy on January 27, 2011 3:43 pm

i came back, its snowed, i went away, it snowed, im coming back tonight.. more snow coming?

At least i will be home and maybe after a week you have something else to talk about