Stop Torture » Blog Archive » Waterboarding in History (Part II): Slavery in America–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein

Stop Torture

The Harvard Anti-Torture Coalition

Waterboarding in History (Part II): Slavery in America–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein

Posted by stoptorture on November 4th, 2007

Narrative of Charles Ball, American slave, on waterboarding torture by a slave owner in Georgia:

SOURCE: Ball, Charles.  Fifty Years in Chains; or, The Life of an American Slave. New York: H. Dayton, 1859. (Read the full account here).

When I had been here about a week, my master came into the field one day, and, in passing near me, stopped and told me, that I had now fallen into good hands, as it was his practice not to whip his people much. That he, in truth, never whipped them, nor suffered his overseer to whip them, except in flagrant cases. That he had discovered a mode of punishment much more mild, and, at the same time, much more effectual, than flogging; and that he governed his negroes exclusively under this mode of discipline. He then told me, that when I came home in the evening, I must come to the house; and that he would then make me acquainted with the principles upon which he chastised his slaves.

Cover of Charles Ball's account of slavery in AmericaGoing to the house in the evening, according to orders, my master showed me a pump, set in a well in which the water rose within ten feet of the surface of the ground. The spout of this pump, was elevated at least thirteen feet above the earth, and when the water was to be drawn from it, the person who worked the handle ascended by a ladder to the proper station. The water in this well, although so near the surface, was very cold; and the pump discharged it in a large stream. One of the women employed in the house, had committed some offence for which she was to be punished; and the opportunity was embraced of exhibiting to me, the effect of this novel mode of torture upon the human frame. The woman was stripped quite naked, and tied to a post that stood just under the stream of water, as it fell from the spout of the pump. A lad was then ordered to ascend the ladder, and pump water upon the head and shoulders of the victim; who had not been under the waterfall more than a minute, before she began to cry and scream in a most lamentable manner. In a short time, she exerted her strength, in the most convulsive throes, in trying to escape from the post; but as the cords were strong, this was impossible. After another minute or a little more, her cries became weaker, and soon afterwards her head fell forward upon her breast; and then the boy was ordered to cease pumping the water. The woman was removed in a state of insensibility; but recovered her faculties in about an hour. The next morning she complained of lightness of head; but was able to go to work.

This punishment of the pump, as it is called, was never inflicted on me; and I am only able to describe it, as it has been described to me, by those who have endured it. When the water first strikes the head and arm, it is not at all painful; but in a very short time, it produces the sensation that is felt when heavy blows are inflicted with large rods, of the size of a man’s finger. This perception becomes more and more painful, until the skull bone and shoulder blades appear to be broken in pieces. Finally, all the faculties become oppressed; breathing becomes more and more difficult; until the eye-sight becomes dim, and animation ceases. This punishment is in fact a temporary murder; as all the pains are endured, that can be felt by a person who is deprived of life by being beaten with bludgeons;–but after the punishment of the pump, the sufferer is restored to existence by being laid in a bed, and covered with warm clothes. A giddiness of the head, and oppression of the breast, follows this operation, for a day or two, and sometimes longer. The object of calling me to be a witness of this new mode of torture, doubtlessly, was was to intimidate me from running away; but like medicines administered by empirics, the spectacle had precisely the opposite effect, from that which it was expected to produce.

After my arrival on this estate, my intention had been to defer my elopement until the next year, before I had seen the torture inflicted on this unfortunate woman; but from that moment my resolution was unalterably fixed, to escape as quickly as possible. Such was my desperation of feeling, at this time, that I deliberated seriously upon the project of endeavouring to make my way southward, for the purpose of joining the Indians in Florida. Fortune reserved a more agreeable fate for me.

***

[UPDATE: See more on waterboarding in history at: http://balkin.blogspot.com/2007/11/waterboarding-through-ages.html]

22 Responses to “Waterboarding in History (Part II): Slavery in America–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein”

1. She's Wrong.. who would Jesus torture? | Five Before Chaos Says:

[…] is torture. It has been understood to be torture since the sixteenth century. Waterboarding was used to torture Black slaves in America before the Civil War. American prosecutors have indicted and tried criminal defendants […]

2. Noli Irritare Leones » Blog Archive » Waterboarding mini-blogwatch Says:

[…] Waterboarding in American History. Via Balkinization and Eve Tushnet […]

3. AC Says:

We have the death penalty in this country and people are worrying about some water getting thrown in a known terrorists face. I think its about time that the majority of our country gets in the real world. Suspect is a known killer. As far as I am concerned they can do what they want to him. We are defending the terrorists. What the hell is the matter with people these days. Santa can’t say ho ho ho anymore, and we can’t torture terrorists. Looks like they have already won. Great Job America!

4. Victor Misrock Says:

Here is a video that’s been cut with AUTHENTIC waterboarding footage — perhaps some of it leaked from the CIA?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GcXl1y_mQw

-vm

5. Tashina Mango Says:

Hey quite great weblog!!

6. electronics project Says:

I was looking for something completely different,got your page Stop Torture » Blog Archive » Waterboarding in History (Part II): Slavery in America–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein and found it Interesting.Nice Post on electronics project…

7. Lavone Shariff Says:

This made me smile and hopefully after your last post it will do the same for you:
    Timing has an awful lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance. 🙂

8. Kern County Traffic School Online Says:

Kern Traffic School makes the Traffic Course Easy and Simple Getting a traffic ticket is not pleasant. Moreover, one incurs heavy expenditures, as well as the possibility of a raise in auto insurance costs. However, the Kern Traffic School can help you dismiss the ticket without any hassle. We offer online defensive driving programs that are easy, simple, and can be completed by anyone. A person can enjoy several benefits after joining these classes

9. Muriel Carmicheal Says:

Hi I love your comment and it was so fabulous and I am definetly going to save it. One thing to say the Superb analysis you have done is trully remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Well Done.. Just another suggestion you shouldget a Translator Application for your Global Readers ..

10. power balance bänder Says:

This is a very interesting post, thank you for sharing! You will find many blogs on this topic but this 1 states exactly what I think as well.

11. Dallas accident attorney Says:

hello – nice blog, just window shopping some blogs, seems a reasonably nice platform you choose. I’m currently using WordPress

12. Dianne McTavish Says:

Many thanks for posting this, It’s just what I have been researching for on bing. I prefer to hear different ideas from a person, than an organization’s web web page, that’s why I like blogs. Many thanks!

13. affiliate cloaking Says:

Thanks for taking the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love learning extra on this topic. If possible, as you acquire experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with extra information? This can be very useful for me.

14. Kayla Shansky Says:

Self-esteem, depression, health risks, along with physical ability are afflicted in weight gain

15. Norris Bealer Says:

very few websites that happen to be detailed below, from our point of view are undoubtedly well worth checking out

16. fotografia ślubna rzeszów Says:

After examine just a few of the blog posts on your web site now, and I truly like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and might be checking again soon. Pls try my web page as properly and let me know what you think.

17. Sportowy Says:

Like

18. Ted Szerlong Says:

hey there and thank you for your info ?I certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

19. An Insightful Analysis On Fast Secrets For baseball equipment for sale Says:

The 1st thing that you require to believe about is how you are heading to gather data about the enterprise for sale. It does not issue if you are purchasing a solitary organization, the quantities often set the price tag. In purchase to make a secure purchase, it is crucial that you are permitted to access all of the information that you need about your organization.. This can be challenging when attempting to buy a business for sale by the operator. Some will try out to basically give you the data that you ask for, nonetheless you need to be in a position to confirm it. The only way to do this is by getting direct accessibility to it. If the owner will not likely permit you see the exact same data that they see, it will be extremely hard for you to get the full photograph of the situation, which leaves you at a awful disadvantage.

20. web design georgia Says:

Thanks for your write-up on this blog site. From my very own experience, periodically softening up a photograph might provide the photographer with a little an artistic flare. Often times however, this soft blur isn’t just what exactly you had under consideration and can in many cases spoil a normally good photograph, especially if you anticipate enlarging them.

21. Sena Grago Says:

Really the worst component of to be a cop is usually when you have to help public arrest a baby.

22. ijah Says:

Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is wonderful, as well as the content!. Thanks For Your article about Stop Torture » Blog Archive » Waterboarding in History (Part II): Slavery in America–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein .