Staying with Friends or Family During Flyout Week? Sign up for L*STAR!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP

Law
* Student Travel Accommodation Reimbursement

L-STAR is a fundraising initiative brought to you by OCS and the Student Public Interest Network (SPIN). If you stay with family or friends instead of in a hotel during a callback interview, firms will donate money to support public interest at Harvard Law; $165 for each unused hotel room and $35 for transportation to and from the airport. You can also participate by sharing a hotel room with a friend or significant other.

L-STAR benefits both firms and students. Law firms enjoy recognition for supporting public service and save money. Students take pride in making it possible for their classmates to provide legal services to those in need.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP

Why should I participate in L-STAR?
1) The money raised makes it possible for your fellow students to provide legal aid to non-profit and government agencies.
2) L-STAR gives law firms an opportunity to demonstrate support for Harvard Law students and public interest law.

3) IT’S EASY!

What do I have to do? Sign up via our online form or fill out a paper copy at the OCS office or at our table in the Hark. Then just let your firm know you will not need a hotel room.

Do I have to ask about L-STAR when I schedule my interview or at the callback? Nope. Just decline hotel accommodations and submit an L-STAR form with your receipts for reimbursement. We’ll do the rest.

Does using L-STAR have a negative effect on my interview or prospects? NO! In fact, you are helping the firm save money during these tough economic times and improve their brand at the same time. Most firms participate – it allows them to demonstrate their commitment to public service. Keep in mind that hiring committees don’t care or know about travel arrangements and that most students don’t submit receipts until after receiving offers, so there’s plenty of time to wow the firm before submitting your form.

When must I decide to participate in L-STAR for a particular callback? At any point before you get that room key! Simply inform the firm that you won’t need accommodations during your visit.

What if I’m visiting more than one firm during one callback trip? Fill out a separate online form for each firm. Once you return, submit the short form we provide you with to each firm you interview with during that trip. The firms will take care of the rest.

After I return from my callback, how do I complete the L-STAR process? Return the form we provide you with to the firm with your expense log and the other part to the Office of Career Services.

How do I get more information? Check out the OCS website, visit us in the Hark or email us at lstar@law.harvard.edu.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP