Muslim Voices in Contemporary World Literatures

The Complaint and The Answer

December 10th, 2014 · No Comments

photo 1 (1)

For The Complaint and The Answer, I chose to use calligrams that show the profile of two faces looking at each other. Each face is composed of verses from the poem. The face on the left represents the man who is complaining to God, the face on the right represents God answering the man. An aspect that I found interesting about this poem was the fact that God was addressing the man on the same level that the man addressed him, through poetry. Iqbal puts God on the same level as this man. Through the visual representation, I decided to replicate this idea and put God and the man on the same level. The faces are looking at each other, which shows that God is in conversation with this man. Although, the man who is complaining is speaking disrespectfully towards God, which was controversial at the time that Iqbal wrote this. I chose to include important phrases from each side of the poem, first the complaint, then the answer, that I felt resonated with the general ideas of the poem. I very much enjoyed this poem so I thought it would be interesting and appropriate to use the words from the poem as opposed to my own words for this calligram. Calligrams are interesting forms of art because they use the words themselves to make the shapes. In this case, the words that I use to make the face represent the words that are spoken by the face. This shows that what is coming out of their mouth is coming from their heads in a very literal way. Through these calligrams, I felt that the themes and general set up of the poem were able to come across.

Tags: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.