Taking the Magic out of College and Putting It Back In

art.harry.potter.wb

Lauren Edelson worried last week about how college tour guides deliver condescending pitches about how their schools resemble Hogwarts. Not a bad thing in my book, especially when you have seen schools that bear no resemblance at all to Hogwarts. Still, she makes a good point about how high school students are longing to grow up and out of Hogwarts: Leaving home and beginning life in a new place is a nerve-racking experience, and nothing seems more reassuring than imagining that college will be the realization of a fantasy world I’ve been imagining since childhood. Obviously colleges have picked up on this. But they’re trying too hard. They’re selling the wrong thing. And my friends and I won’t be fooled. After all, Harry Potter is frozen in high school, and we’re growing up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/opinion/06edelson.html

I was sold on her argument until Dani Duggan (Weston High School) weighed in: What I still don’t understand is why Ms. Edelson thinks “selling” Harry Potter is a problem. As my dad says, you’re old for a very long time. So what’s the harm in a little magic?

And apropos Harry Potter in College, CNN.com has an interesting piece on Pottermania in the college classroom and interviews students who are taking a range of courses in which J.K. Rowling’s series is read.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/03/25/cnnu.potter/index.html

One thought on “Taking the Magic out of College and Putting It Back In

1. Usually I’m all for a little magic…but using Harry Potter in college tours gives me pause. This probably has something to do with the fact that I used to do it myself; one summer I worked as a tour guide for my college (Williams College), and yes, we did have the “Harry Potter” schtick in our spiel. And I said it every time. Yet here’s what gets me: we talked about how our residential system functions like the Harry Potter houses, since we are divided into four neighborhoods, which – so we tell our tour groups – function like Hogwarts Houses because everyone in them has such a sense of hanging-together-ness.

But really, the neighborhood system is wildly unpopular; 70% of the campus is *strongly dissatisfied* with the system, and there is a student movement underway to get it repealed. So I felt bad about saying that our neighborhood system was like Hogwarts, since really all we were doing was putting a deceptively positive spin on a broken system.