Just another Weblogs at Harvard Law School site

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 1.04.41 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-08 at 1.04.52 PM
Complaint and Answer struck me for a few reasons. It seems that Iqbal wrote the Complaint in a very whiny, but still respectful way. Muslims are basically giving God a list of reasons why they have done everything He ever wanted them to do, and yet they suffer as other societies thrive. The writing is done in the least offensive way possible as to not anger God, but it still communicates disappointment in God’s decisions. I thought the Answer was done very eloquently. It gave a rational, reasonable explanation while simultaneously scolding them for expecting so much when other civilizations have displayed more muslim characteristics than the actual Muslims have. I thought it might be fun and interesting to compose my own answers to a couple of the complaints, so I chose two of Iqbal’s pages and wrote verse by verse responses, imagining God’s reaction to each plea, instead of an overall reponse to the whole Complaint. I then juxtaposed them for added effect. I’d like to think my responses are a little more emotional than God’s actual responses. I also kept in mind that this is an important dialogue because it is so unique and slightly controversial, and yet the topic was and is a real issue that is on the mind of a lot of people. Complaint and Answer gives people an opportunity to see their frustrations actually written in a public way, and they get to reflect on the Answer to make sense of these frustrations and possibly understand why things are not always one sided and why things do not always have to work out in one’s favor.

May 8th, 2014 at 5:06 pm