March 1st, 2019. It’s a great honor to be invited to the Japan UK Technology and Humanity in Education 2019, organized by the Embassy of Japan UK.
I gave a talk entitled, “Human First Innovation: Balancing Opportunities and Risks of AI” at Royal Institute of Great Britain, Mayfair, London.
AIM of the event
Thanks to the recent progress of communications technology, we are now entering a new era when expectations are high for new information technologies, such as AI and IoT, which could contribute to areas such as business, cultural advancement and education. Furthermore, these disruptive forces would create the need to cultivate a new generation of talented technologist. Both in Japan and the UK, efforts towards realising this are gathering pace, with a number of government and industry initiatives.
With the aim of further developing awareness and understanding of the impact that emerging new technologies would have on our economy and wider society, the Embassy of Japan will host a seminar titled “Japan UK Technology and Humanity in Education 2019,” bringing together leading Japanese and UK IoT companies, along with key figures in the various initiatives. https://www5.jetro.go.jp/newsletter/london/2018/190301TechandHumanity.pdf
March 1st, 2019.
14:00 Opening remarks (Embassy of Japan)
14:05 Keynote lectures
– Julian David, CEO, techUK
– Makoto Enomoto, Senior Vice President, CMO, NEC Corporation
14:30 Highlights of emerging tech
– Hironobu Tamba, Vice President, SoftBank Corp.
– Takashi Sonoda, Founder, CEO, Uhuru Corporation
– TBD from UK companies
14:50 Human-Centred Digital Society
– Dr Toshie Takahashi, Professor, School of Culture, Media and Society, Waseda University/ Visiting Scholar, Leverhulme Centre for the Future of Intelligence, University of Cambridge
– Edward Teather, Head of International, Office for Artificial Intelligence (Joint unit: BEIS/DCMS)
– Dr Mariarosaria Taddeo, Research Fellow, Deputy Director, Digital Ethics Lab, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford/ Turing Fellow, Alan Turing Institute
15:30 Education for the Future
– Khaled Benkrid, Senior Director, Education and Research, Arm Holdings plc
– TBD, Masason Foundation and Foundation’s students
16:00 Closing remarks (Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Japan) & Networking Reception
After the event, I enjoyed such a wonderful dinner by H.E. Ambassador Koji Tsuruoka with distinguished guests at the Official Residence of the Ambassador of Japan.