Dave Winer‘s SmallPicture is a vendor I’ve been relating to from the start, mostly by cheering on development, for example of Fargo, the online outliner I describe here. Now that SmallPicture has a reader, I can copy and paste the HTML from my Fargo outline into WordPress under its HTML tab. This makes piling up and publishing outlines of links quite easy. So here goes:
- The corroding value of the internet cookie, and an opportunity to shape a new market, by Nitin Badjitia.
- On polling, VRM and politicians, by Dave Durant
- VRM , Personal Clouds, and Information Architecture, by Stuart Maxwell
- The Hidden Risks of Mobile CRM, Part 1, Part 2
- How consumer messaging is going from ‘push’ to ‘pull’, by Terry Heaton
- The coming age of on demand marketing, by McKinsey
- Ark-OS: “your data, your rules”
VRM in France (where I am now)
Personal Clouds and the Internet of Things
I hope some SmallPicture developers will show up at IIW, so we can talk about possibilities there.
The 16th IIW (Internet Identity Workshop) is coming up, Tuesday to Thursday, 7-9 May, will be tat the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. As usual, VRM will be a main topic, with lots of developers and other interested folk participating. Also as usual, we will have a VRM planning day on the Monday preceding: 6 May, also at the CHM. So that’s four straight days during which we’ll get to present, whiteboard, discuss and move forward the many projects we’re working on. From the top of my head at the moment:
- Personal Clouds, including —
- The Internet of Me and My Things
- QS (Quantified Self) and Self-Hacking
- Fully personal wallets, rather than branded ones that work only with payment silos and their partners
- Intentcasting — where customers advertise their purchase intentions in a secure, private and trusted way, outside of any vendor’s silo
- Browser add-ons, extensions, related developments
- Licensing issues
- Sovereign and administrative identity approaches, including Persona, formerly BrowserID, from Mozilla
- Legal issues, such as creating terms and policies that individuals assert
- Tracking and ad blocking, and harmonizing methods and experiences
- Health Care VRM
- Devices, such as the freedom box
- VRM inSovereign vs./+ Administrative identities
- Real estate
- Banking (including credit cards, payments, transactions)
- Personal data pain points, e.g. filling out forms
- Trust networks
- Harnessing adtech science and methods for customers, rather than only for vendors
The morning will be devoted to VRM issues, while the afternoon will concentrate on personal clouds.
We still have eight tickets left here. There is no charge to attend.
In the next few days here on the blog we’ll be going over some of the topics above. Input welcome.
Nice piece on Intently.co and intentcasting in 7 Days. Titled Intently.co – the new website where the firms come to you…, it’s right up the VRM alley. An excerpt:
A global site or rather ‘intention engine’ called Intently.co is making it possible for suppliers who are listening to respond to buyers’ requests in the UAE and beyond.
Neil Harris, founder of Intently.co explained to 7DAYS that he could see the potential of his site pretty clearly – even if the inspiration did come while he was looking for an optician.
“I wanted an optician’s appointment and simply didn’t have the time or energy to wade through 101 opticians’ websites, so I dreamed up the idea of “broadcasting my request” to all of them and waiting for them to reply, eager to have my business,” he said. It’s a practice which has come to be known as ‘intentcasting’ – and in theory it should save you time and money.
“I wanted to be able to submit a request – or a ‘shout’ – for potential suppliers to react to while I was busy doing other things. Then, some time later, I could go back to that request and see how it was getting on,” Harris explained. So far, he said, around 80 per cent of requests worldwide get positive responses – and usually within the hour.
Some have asked all golf clubs in their area for membership prices and selected a new club based how responsive and helpful it was during the process.
Another user sent out a successful ‘shout’ for a surprise party. Such requests, though small on their own, are part of a growing trend which has been dubbed ‘the intention economy’ – and Harris believes it will have big consequences for current marketing and advertising models.
I added the link. Hope Neil and 7Days don’t mind. 🙂
A roundup of VRM-related tweets and posts…
- williamheath @williamheath @felix_cohen Well, indeed. There is a better way, and I think Unis will lead the way
- Gary Rowe @garyjrowe 4 Apr Discovering Identity: LinkedIn Should Use Connect.me http://www.discoveringidentity.com/2013/03/30/linkedin-should-use-connect-me/ …
#IDM #Tech #LI #VRM Expand
- Enzion Xavier @NZN 4 Apr What is UDPO? http://www.moxytongue.com/2011/10/what-is-udpo.html … empower people so that they are no longer held captive by structure of administrative authority
- Phil Windley @windley 4 Apr Common Assumptions About Privacy Are Wrong | LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130401135102-2259773-common-assumptions-about-privacy-are-wrong …
#kynetx #vrm Expand
- Mydex CIC @MydexCIC 4 Apr @dsearls talks with @EconTalk abt the how the relationship between buyers & sellers might evolve http://ow.ly/jJLTd
- Privowny @Privowny Data Accuracy Vital To Improve Online Advertising http://bit.ly/13RS3BI #VRM This is where we have a vision and response: engage with users
- Robert Richards @richards100043m http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2013/03/searls_on_the_i.html … .@dsearls discusses automated terms of service and buyer-empowered e-commerce. podcast. #vrm
- MediaPost @MediaPost Online Media Daily: Data Accuracy Vital To Improve Online Advertising If the online data isn’t good, then ads fail to connect brands with consumers. While it has been an ongoing push in the online ad industry, some companies, like eXelate, are beginning to take a more…
- Mydex CIC @MydexCIC 11h Ro Silva leaves #10 for a VC role. Ro gets Mydex & VPI; he’ll make a terrific #VRM entrepreneur http://is.gd/yCHhNt HT @hadleybeeman
- Bill Wendel @RealEstateCafe 21h Slow Food Movement Inspires #RealEstate Reforms. Will they prevent casualties in #biddingwars? http://bit.ly/SlowBid #VRM#AprilFools#DIY
- Steve Fulling @fulling 2 Apr Stevie sez to @beansandbrews this AM: “I patronize places that I like, not because of gimmicks or rewards programs.” #vrm#kynetx
- Graham Hill @GrahamHill 2 Apr RT @ThomasMarzano: When It Comes To #SocialMedia, Consumers Tell Brands To Speak Only When Spoken To http://is.gd/CMDHMM #vrm#scrm
- StephKimbro @StephKimbro 1 Apr Agreed. RT @uwehook: Futurist’s Groundhog Day | The Odd is Silent. Best #VRM write up I’ve seen. http://tdotrob.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/futurists-groundhog-day/ … View summary Reply Retweet Favorite More
- Enzion Xavier @NZN 31 Mar “Beware the lure of Mark Zuckerberg’s cool capitalism | Nick Cohen” http://feedly.com/k/115Glj7 Sovereign By Design requirement = #vrminnovation Expand
- Uwe Hook @uwehook 30 Mar Futurist’s Groundhog Day | The Odd is Silent. Best #VRM write up I’ve seen. http://tdotrob.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/futurists-groundhog-day/ … View summary
- Peter Vander Auwera @petervan 30 Mar VRM Day the Monday before IIW http://feedly.com/k/X4uSik Expand
- nzion Xavier @NZN 29 Mar Sovereign By Design http://www.moxytongue.com/2013/03/sovereign-by-design.html … HT .@dsearls .@windley .@IdentityWoman .@tdotrob#VRM for Me ~vs~ #vrm for Us #personalcloud#SOS Expand
- T.Rob @tdotrob 29 Mar Thanks, @catrionawallace! Anyone expecting the blog is VRM will have a WTF moment eventually. Be forewarned! Exmpl: http://bit.ly/YjY4D1
- Rohan Pinto @RohanPinto 28 Mar The best VRM post, ever http://hvrd.me/YIqNUa Expand
- Dr Catriona Wallace @catrionawallace 28 Mar Cool Vendor Relationship Management (VRM) Blog: Futurist’s Groundhog Day: http://wp.me/p27UEs-51 via @tdotrob#consumerpowereconomy Expand
- Futurist’s Groundhog Day By T.Rob @tdotrob It’s deja vu all over again One aspect of intentcasting that fascinates me is how recursive it is. VRM is the manifestation of a desire for intentcasting in an environment which lacks a framework …
- Aurelie Pols @AureliePols 28 Mar Futurist’s Groundhog Day: VRM the future of Privacy? http://wp.me/p27UEs-51 via @tdotrob View summary
- T.Rob @tdotrob 28 Mar Best #VRM post, ever, by @tdotrob, honored here: http://hvrd.me/YGsVcq <– Thx @dsearls! Can’t fit my head in motorcycle helmet now. 🙁 Favorited by Enzion Xavier View conversation
- Phil Windley @windley 28 Mar The best VRM post, ever http://zite.to/103jz9V #kynetx <- information assymetry Retweeted by Ed Orcutt and 1 other Expand
- Doc Searls @dsearls 28 Mar The best #VRM post, ever: http://bit.ly/YGsXRF , by @tdotrob, honored here: http://hvrd.me/YGsVcq Retweeted by Gary Rowe and 4 others View summary
- Dan Lyke @danlyke 28 Mar Reasons for VRM: It’d be nice to tell @JohnnieWalkerUS that I don’t drink and their promoted tweet is going to waste. How do we implement? Expand
- Kaliya-IdentityWoman @IdentityWoman 28 Mar We are searching for a Personal Cloud Logo http://99d.me/c/4fpw – $200 4 winner picked @ nxt gathering http://personalcloud3.eventbrite.com #pcloud #vrm View summary
- Phil Windley @windley 28 Mar Futurist’s Groundhog Day: http://wp.me/p27UEs-51 #vrm Retweeted by Mark Dixon View summary
- Sean Bohan @seanbohan 21 Mar “Was it something I Googled?” An Open Letter to Targeted Online Advertisers http://ow.ly/jiyCF #funny #VRM Expand
- Phil Windley @windley 21 Mar This week’s CS462 in-class design exercise was a VRM scenario. https://github.com/windley/CS462-Event-Edition/blob/master/design_exercises/Purchasing-system.md … /cc @dsearls View summary
- Toon Vanagt @Toon 21 Mar “What are labor laws in a world where workforce is on demand” & reputation is key? @om introduces data Darwinism http://gigaom.com/2013/03/17/uber-data-darwinism-and-the-future-of-work/ … #VRM View summary
- Mydex CIC @MydexCIC 19 Mar Catch our slidecast ‘Introduction to Mydex Personal Data Stores’ on @slidesharehttp://ow.ly/jdEVu Audio included! #personaldata #vrm Retweeted by Neil Harris View media
- Enzion Xavier @NZN 17 Mar Search Engine for 3D Printing http://www.defcad.com/ #vrm Manage Vendor Relationships by empowering Individual freedom & opportunity #how Expand
- Mark Sage @sagema 15 Mar Rallying cry for innovation – and faith @dsearls discussing #VRM and why people should care. http://www.marksage.net/2013/03/rallying-cry-for-innovation-and-faith.html … via @sagema Expand
- Julian Gay @juliangay 15 Mar FT opinion piece “With big data comes big responsibility” http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1c3e27ee-8b2f-11e2-8fcf-00144feabdc0.html … getting very close to #vrm View summary
- williamheath @williamheath 12 Mar What EU DP regulators haven’t heard is that better privacy is better for business. We have to make that case heard @OpenRightsGroup #VRM