Chicken Soup for the Soul? Chicken Soup for the Rest of Us? Chicken Soup for Dummies?

Doing a bit of googling for local feng shui practioners (no, it’s none of your business why I was googling them!), I came across this observation here:

Entropy isn’t what it used to be

It made me feel as though I had again missed out on something, sniff. On the same page, however, my favourite quote:

Erotic is when you use a feather, kinky is when you use the whole chicken. Perverted is chicken soup for dinner guests the next day.

1. One of my personal favourites is

“I’m only in it for the entropy” which vomes from an old underground comic book from the 70’s. Picture a skeleton leaning up against a barn saying those words 🙂

Comment by Doug Alder — February 26, 2004 #

2. And that, Doug, reminds me of a Congress of South African Trades Unions (COSATU) logo during the 80s. Beneath a graphic of a skeleton on its haunches–the attitude of millions who look for work on our street corners each day, ran the line “Waiting for a Living Wage.”

At the time, it seemed both prescient and humourous–with a cynical edge honed by long experience and a pragmatic outlook. Weighed against the feng-shui article to which Yule points, I just had to chuckle for, yes, the poor are still with us. I’ve a pretty good idea the desperate but innately decent guys who crowd my street corner would know just what to make of a ‘feng-shui practitioner’ scouting the waiting rooms of the doctors’ highly lucrative practice behind the electric fence against which they sometimes rest.

Besides appreciating the (to my mind) healthy appreciation work seekers have of the Five Elements, the juxtaposition of ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ in this neck of the woods leads me to believe that those for whom entropy has reached a singularity will soon turn to eat the chicken, the feathers and the soup. Before, of course, emitting a long, satisfied burp and returning to their position at the roadside. In other words, chicken soup for the masses.

Yule, I seldom comment… but I always appreciate what I find here–food of the most wholesome, nutritious and thought-provoking variety :).

Comment by Mike Golby — February 27, 2004 #

3. If you’re looking for one liners and proverbs, check out http://www.oneliners-and-proverbs.com/, oh Yule the Magnificent:

* I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don’t even invite me. (Dave Barry)

* If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand we’d be so simple we couldn’t understand.

* He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes….

Only problem is, Yule, they tend to be clean.

Comment by Joel — February 28, 2004 #