Historical caricature

Ok, I know it’s an utter waste of my time and yours, but months ago I bookmarked a caricature of Hitler that I found online, which tonight (because I happened to be going through my bookmarks) I’m going to foist on these pages. I don’t remember how I got to this link, but it’s on one of the Berlin Staatsbibliothek pages detailing the archival collection of Klaus Kirchner. (I don’t know who Kirchner is, but I have done archival research in the Berlin “Stabi,” and I know that it’s full of good stuff.) This caricature is probably from the late-30s, likely from a Soviet-influenced sector of anti-fascist agitation. It’s crude, although rather striking, in a bear-baiting sort of way. The text, translated, says:

Gorilla “Adolf”
Careful! Rabid!

Underneath, in block capitals, we read:

That’s where he belongs
That’s where he’ll end up!

1. Dr. Klaus Kirchner is a well known collector of propaganda leaflets etc and lecturer on psychological warfare (PSYOPS). If you are interested in contacting him there is information here http://www.propaganda-leaflets.com/welcome.html

Comment by Doug Alder — November 7, 2004 #

2. Thanks for the link, Doug! I knew from the Stabi site that he had begun collecting when he was 12 — he found a dropped leaflet (during WWII in Germany) and didn’t, as Nazi law required, destroy or turn it in — but I hadn’t looked further. I’m astonished to see (from your link) that he’s selling original Flugblaetter online.

The things one learns on the web! Amazing…

Comment by Yule Heibel — November 7, 2004 #