Wastrels

Wastrel — great-sounding word, isn’t it? Woody, not tinny.

Here’s a definition:

wastrel n : someone who dissipates resources self-indulgently [syn: waster]

Chet Richards reviews Winslow Wheeler’s The Wastrels of Defense; How Congress Sabotages U.S. Security (US Naval Institute Press, 2004) for Defense and National Interest. (Don’t ask how I came across that particular site, just read the review — or the book.)

Alarming stuff.

1. Hi, Yule. I just wanted to drop by and say hello, hoping you had an enjoyable, lazy Thanksgiving weekend (never lasts long enough, though, does it?)

I read down to the bottom of the page, catching up and was so impressed by the Frank Paynter entry on “why do you blog?” — a question on a merry-go-round, changing seats with the tiger, the camel, sitting still or going up and down, a different perspective, I suppose, depending on where you are when you look out at the scene trumbling by. Still, you and friends always amaze me with the deepness of your dives.

I would get the bends.

Comment by Kate S. — November 28, 2004 #

2. Kate, you’re right, the time off doesn’t last long enough! Re. the bends — I get them, too, albeit not from going deep, just from what’s going on around us…

Hey, what’s up with your site, btw? I can’t seem to load the page? I’ll try again tomorrow — maybe some server-thingie is down?

Comment by Yule Heibel — November 29, 2004 #