Watch this!, or: adverporn

My husband really has this …um, thing, for wristwatches. He is a connoisseur of high-end collectable mechanical watches, and he occasionally — well, ok: often! — goes slumming on websites that advertise watches. During dinner preparations, he sent me this:

I don’t know about anyone else, but this kind of stuff ranks right up there with fetish-porn. So what’s the connection to real porn? Well, how do you spell m-o-n-e-y?

Wristwatches sell for ridiculously high amounts — except, of course, these prices aren’t ridiculous since some people can pay them. But you have to wonder what kind of world we’re living in when mass-market publications (like Harper’s Bizarre, for example) tout wristwatches in their articles (not to mention in their ads), which retail for around US$40K (these are articles aimed at your fashion-conscious working girl who wants to get ahead). Bizarre is a mass market platform — there are of course wristwatches ten times the price, and they get sold….

Wow, baby: what kind of promises on returns did they make you?

1. I really enjoy reading your posts and would like your permission to publish some of them to our website. You will receive full credit for your articles as well as a link to your blog. Let me know

Comment by Christine — June 11, 2005 #

2. BTW – our website is http://www.swanktrendz.com

Comment by Christine — June 11, 2005 #