Maria’s brand new beaujolais

Over at Alembic, Maria has distilled her first podcast, Whinery. It’s a must-listen (so go, listen): truly a full-bodied vintage, full of surprises, depth, and layered flavours.

1. Thanks for the appreciation — and for your thought-provking comments on my “mopless” post. As isolated as I think myself in my community, it’s hard for me to see that, in fact, I might be more part of it in the very ways in which I try to differentiate myself from it…

Comment by maria — January 8, 2006 #

2. Well, as I went back to say (on Mopless in Marin), I think what you’re doing is critique, which isn’t at all the same thing as complaining from a position of consumer entitlement. And even the complainers can, if they choose, get involved in whole different way, in various networks that work to effect change.
    It’s just the idea that wealth, which brings you the power to consume with seeming impunity, should “naturally” also bestow the ability to “buy” community that’s so disputable. “Can’t buy me love,” as the Beatles put it. They were right… 😉

Critique and complaint probably share this trait, though: they’re prerequisites for making changes. Sometimes those changes are internal, other times they really change external conditions, too. Your criticisms of conditions in these apparently picture-perfect communities is something that Marin Independent Journal article missed completely. Their article put complaining in the forefront, as if you can complain your way to community: “I demand my rights, I demand that this community deliver!” etc. etc. Your perspective, on the other hand (and your critique), helps a person begin to understand what’s wrong with that strategy, which is why, even though it’s critical, it is helpful.

Comment by Yule Heibel — January 8, 2006 #