The Sunday Diigo Links Post (weekly)

• Interesting comment on tumblr and how its form changes content:
    QUOTE
    “The purpose of it is just pretty different,” said the Web guru Rex Sorgatz, who recently gave up his personal blog for a Tumblr. “Because I see the audience and I know who they are, see who they are. I talk in a completely different way and post pictures of my dog and make jokes about people without linking to them because everyone knows who I’m talking about. And certainly it changes the way you talk about things.”
    UNQUOTE

tags: blogging tumblr writing

• Not sure I agree that dynamiting Pruitt-Igoe in 1972 was the defining watershed moment – I think the impetus for archispeak is economic – but, regardless, Witold Rybczynski gives a conise critique of the beast…

QUOTE
    The destruction of the utopian “towers in a park” signaled the demise of heroic Modernism and its idealistic foray into social engineering. It also rattled the profession. What were architects to do? A few, such as I.M. Pei, soldiered on, seeking inspiration in a more monumental and stylish version of minimal Modernism. Some adopted Postmodernism, which turned out to be a short-lived fad. A few turned back to Classicism, while some, like Richard Rogers and Norman Foster, redefined architecture as an advanced technological craft.

Other architects, especially those teaching in universities, reacted to the collapse of Modernism by attempting to reinvent the field as a theoretical discipline. The theories did not come from the evidence of the practice of architecture, as one might expect (that was left to Christopher Alexander), but from arcane historical tracts and the writings of French literary critics in hermeneutics, poetics, and semiology. Thus began a new phase in professional jargon.
    UNQUOTE

tags: architecture archispeak witold_rybczynski slate_magazine

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No Comments yet