Update on the Mixtape Mafia

I contacted the Fulton Sheriffs department and was able to speak with a public affairs officer who sent me the following:

Tyree Simmons, AKA DJ Drama, Age 28, Warrant #-256458MC
Donald Cannon, Age 27, Warrant #-256456MC
Fulton County Warrants for R.I.C.O. violations related to copyright infringement (OCGA 16-14-4-RICO).
TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 14. RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS ยง 16-14-4.
Prohibited activities
(a) It is unlawful for any person, through a pattern of racketeering activity or proceeds derived therefrom, to acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in or control of any enterprise, real property, or personal property of any nature, including money.

(b) It is unlawful for any person employed by or associated with any enterprise to conduct or participate in, directly or indirectly, such enterprise through a pattern of racketeering activity.

(c) It is unlawful for any person to conspire or endeavor to violate any of the provisions of subsection (a) or (b) of this Code section.

I was sent the same information by Major E. A. (Skip) Platt, Commander, Warrant/Service Division SWAT, EOD and Crisis Negotiations. He was very informative and seemed to be aware of the differences between making exact duplications of a copyrighted work and creating transformative works such as a mix tape. I can only hope the prosecutor who winds up with this case will be as insightful. One thing he mentioned has stuck with me. Repeating a crime such as distribution of a copyrighted material more then once can be considered a RICO violation under GA law. I have to wonder if RIAA knew this full well and decided to pursue this particular case because GA was so liberal in procsecuting this. I also have to wonder how many people on the internet are now guilty of RICO violations should they ever step foot in GA.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.