Domestic Terrorism Definition

I hope this purported FBI flyer is a fake. I hope that the FBI doesn’t actually define domestic terrorism as:

groups or individuals operating entirely inside the US attempting to influence the US government or population to effect political or social change by engaging in criminal activity.

My understanding of what made terrorists a special class of criminal was that they used violent tactics and had no regard for civilian casualties. It seems wrong that non violent attempts to influence the government are considered domestic terrorism. Even if they are criminal.

For instance, wouldn’t lobbyists who crossed the line be considered domestic terrorists? Their very job description is to influence the government. If they bribe a congressmen can we detain them for terrorism now?

EDIT: I’m pretty sure this is a hoax now. The definitions I’m finding online for domestic terrorist all include the use of violence.

e.g.

Domestic terrorism is the unlawful use, or threatened use, of force or violence by a group or individual based and operating entirely within the United States, Puerto Rico, or other US territories without foreign direction committed against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof in furtherance of political or social objectives.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.